X
  •  
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Unregistered

I found a check made out to cash

New York

If i find a check made out to cash, can i legally cash it?
  • Unregistered

Re: I found a check made out to cash

No you cannot, the person did not authorize you to cash it therefore its illegal and considered bank fraud.

Comment

• Unregistered

Originally posted by Unregistered
      New York

If i find a check made out to cash, can i legally cash it?
      Just Like Cash

A check payable to cash is just like cash - anybody can use it. If the check gets lost, whoever finds it can get the money unless you stop payment on the check first. Likewise, the recipient can pass the check on to somebody else.

Comment

• Unregistered

Lost cash is not your to keep.

Comment

• Unregistered

Ok so you put out signs all over town that say "Lost cash please claim if it's yours" And then what happens?
          You get EVERYONE claiming it's theirs so that makes EVERYONE a theif...
          I say if you find cash it's YOUR lucky day because there is no real way to ensure it gets back to the owner unless you know who the owner is.
          Quit trying to make it sound like people are such terrible beings if they happen to find something that is next to impossible to return.
          Get a life

Comment

• Unregistered

Typically checks have an address and name on the top. Best thing to do is try to contact them that way... or if you know whose bank it is..give them the digits on the bottom and they can track the owner. They can contact them and you have a better chance of getting a reward for returning it than you do of getting away with bank fraud.

Comment

• Friend In Court
              Top Level Member
              ☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆
              • Apr 2011
              • United States

No. If it was not given to you by the person who drew it, you have no right to the money. Banks have lots of surveillance cameras as well as check cashing places. If you cash it, it is only a matter of time before men in blue are at your door.

Comment

• Unregistered

Just Like Cash

A check payable to cash is just like cash - anybody can use it. If the check gets lost, whoever finds it can get the money unless you stop payment on the check first. Likewise, the recipient can pass the check on to somebody else.
                I hope nobody takes this advice seriously.

Check made out to cash specifically indicate the the owner of the checking account is the recipient of the money.

The account owner is the only person who can cash such a check.

Please ignore the irresponsible "advice" quoted above. It is patently and dangerously incorrect.

Comment

• Unregistered

Pay to Cash – Checks – Pay to the Order of Cash.
                  Just like cash

Comment

• Unregistered

Some of you are pretty funny... There is such a thing as "the law"...

UCC Section 3-109: Checks may be payable to Bearer or to Order. The way a check is made payable will affect who must negotiate/indorse it. If it is made payable to bearer, that means the holder of the item can negotiate it (e.g., cash it or deposit it.) Examples of items payable to bearer include items on which the payee line is blank, items that are made payable to cash, items that say they are payable to "bearer", or items that do not indicate they are payable to an identified person. ...

Means that if the "Pay To The Order Of" line is blank, says "bearer" or "cash" then whoever brings it into the bank can cash it or deposit it. Does not mean it's right to do it if you find such a check, but there is very little someone can do to the person who does cash it or deposit it. The law will actually protect the person who cashes it and will protect the bank it's drawn on. Just don't loose one of these types of checks...

Comment

• Unregistered

Today (1/15), my wife found a check made payable to 'Cash' for $48,000,000! Yes, that's 48 million dollars.

It was lodged in a potted plant right outside a Mclaren dealership here in Newport Beach, CA. The date on the check is 1/10.

It's a business name on the check, but we can't find a number online in order to contact 'em.

So nuts!

Comment

• 1scooper
                        • Jan 2015

Ok people! Doesnt this sound fishy to you? First of all, I was almost the victim of a scam once. This guy sent me a check for services I hadnt done yet. It was for a large amount and from a company. I googled the company and got a number. I called and they said it wasnt real. I then went to the police and they said if I deposited or cashed the check and since it didnt come from that company, they would take that money out of my account to cover it. So my advice is go to the police, if they tell you the same then rip it up and thank your stars you werent scammed. Someone possibly planted that or threw it there because they got it and knew it was a scam.

Comment

• Unregistered

I hope nobody takes this advice seriously.

Check made out to cash specifically indicate the the owner of the checking account is the recipient of the money.

The account owner is the only person who can cash such a check.

Please ignore the irresponsible "advice" quoted above. It is patently and dangerously incorrect.
                          **If you find a check made out to cash, it is like finding cash. This is a fact. Anyone can take that check and cash it at a bank. A check made out to cash, the law does not require an endorsement on the back, but a bank can make it one of their bank rules.**

45-3-109d of the state commercial code: payable to bearer or to order
                          A check made out to cash is a bearer instrument refers to an instrument that is payable to anyone possessing the instrument and is negotiable by transfer alone; it is the same as cash.

Comment

• Disagreeable
                            Top Level Member
                            ☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆
                            • Oct 2012
                            • United States

The law also requires when the property of another is found it be turned into the police and is subject to the claim of the owner. I think someone would miss a 48 million dollar check.
                            Due to a recent promotion, I should now be referred to as Major Obvious.

I would not be trying to provide information and knowledge if I did not sympathize.

Some days it is just not worth chewing through the restraints to face life.

Comment

• Unregistered

Today (1/15), my wife found a check made payable to 'Cash' for $48,000,000! Yes, that's 48 million dollars.

It was lodged in a potted plant right outside a Mclaren dealership here in Newport Beach, CA. The date on the check is 1/10.

It's a business name on the check, but we can't find a number online in order to contact 'em.

So nuts!
                              A business would not write a check out to cash for 48 million. If they had any kind of transactions in the thousands and millions it would be done by a wire.

A bank would not cash that check. The check would raise a red flag, money laundering. You would be investigation, maybe even be arrested.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                              Auto-Saved
                              Smile :) Embarrassment :o Big Grin :D Wink ;) Stick Out Tongue :p Mad :mad: Confused :confused: Frown :( Roll Eyes (Sarcastic) :rolleyes: Cool :cool: EEK! :eek:

the answer is no... (write the answer twice with an "@" between the words)

widgetinstance 213 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                              Working...