Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Can I claim fees from a firm? after a successful introduction?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can I claim fees from a firm? after a successful introduction?

Can I claim fees from a firm after a successful introduction, where the referral fee agreement was not completely finalised?

I am looking for some guidance on a rather complex cross jurisdictional business matter. In summary, I was engaged to do some work introducing a USA based FinTech firm to some financial services firms in South Africa. (I am formerly an employee for an international brokerage firm).

Having made several intros, one of which went on to close successfully and the 2 firms I put together are now live with the proposed solution. My agreement with the Illinois firm was never signed off, even though there are several drafts; the firm and I disagreed over some fundamentals including raising of the commission structure (10% of the firms fee for the first 2-3 years).

Can I claim fees from a firm after a successful introduction, where the referral fee agreement was not completely finalised?
    Sure, you can CLAIM them. And your client can say no. Then what? You sue the client for your money and prove to the judge what the compensation agreement was.

Exactly how much money do you want for your efforts? Never mind what you and the client were disagreeing about. Give me the dollar amount that you feel you are entitled to right now. I might have helpful comments.

Comment

They eg raised a million USD so I claim 100,000.

Comment

Has the client paid you anything? Offered you anything?

If not, you'll need a lawyer and a lawsuit. Once they get served they might negotiate something with you to avoid a trial. But you aren't likely to see a nickel without a lawyer and a lawsuit.

Start calling law firms and see if you can get a free consultation and an idea of how the fees will work.

Comment

For a hundred grand it may be worth spending a bit to pursue your fee.
          It is even possible that an attorney would take it on contingency though that won't be easy to find for this kind of business case, but it is possible.

Comment

Save all your correspondence that may show you actually did have an agreement (or not).

Comment

Thanks all very much!!

Comment

It worked out in the end and I got about 85% of the fee.
                Thanks again - it helps sometimes to have a sounding board with issues like this.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                Auto-Saved
                Smile :) Stick Out Tongue :p Wink ;) Mad :mad: Frown :( Big Grin :D Confused :confused: Embarrassment :o Roll Eyes (Sarcastic) :rolleyes: Cool :cool: EEK! :eek:
                x
                Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                x

the color of milk is... (write the answer twice with an "@" between the words)