Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can they do this????

At a recent sales meeting, my company passed out numerous papers that "had to be signed". While signing, co-workers stood by to immediately take the signed documents. We had all of 5 minutes to review any of these documents. We received no copies of anything we signed. As it turns out, one of these documents was informing us that, in order to reduce our company's debt exposure, the company would hold 3% out of our weekly pay. This 3% would be deposited into a "personal account". It would be used, if needed, to pay for C.O.D. deliveries that for one reason or another, could not be paid upon delivery. For example: I have $400 in my "personal account", I sell an account $350 worth of product, the truck arrives and the business owner is not available to write a check. My company will take the full amount, $350, out of my "personal account" until the money is collected. Hopefully, it will then be deposited back to my account. (I should mention that my accounting department is not the greatest in the world). At the end of the year, any outstanding debt that is still on the books in relation to my sales will then be taken from my "personal account" to the tune of 6%-double what they held out! Any money that is left in that "personal account" will supposedly be paid back to me at the end of the year. The 3% is held out pre-tax. Whatever amount I get at the end of the year will then be taxed. I have been with this company for 9 years and have never had to "pay" to work there. Regardless of how they try to minimize this, I'm not sure that they can legally do this...hold my pay for the inability of some co-workers to collect debt. It seems as though the company is not only in the sales business but also the banking business at the expense of it's employees. If I had indeed read the document, I would have refused to sign. I have done this on one other occasion and was told "Not signing is not an option". Is this legal?

Re: Can they do this????

That normally is not legal--You could consult your nearest Department of Labor office to briefly discuss the issue with them first...you may also want to ask the company to put what is happening in writing and explain to them that you may have attorneys review the situation...

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
    Auto-Saved
    Smile :) Stick Out Tongue :p Wink ;) Mad :mad: Big Grin :D Frown :( Embarrassment :o Confused :confused: Roll Eyes (Sarcastic) :rolleyes: Cool :cool: EEK! :eek:
    x

the color of a banana is... (write the answer twice with an "@" between the words)

widgetinstance 213 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
    Working...
    X