No announcement yet.


  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • VP

    We have a corp registered in NH. The stockholders lived in MO and VA. The VA stock was owned by another corp. The accountant lived in VA and was a director in both corps and was also the financial officer in both corps.

    I bought all the stock in the first corp from the second corp. I live in KS. I am now responsible for all financial issues so I requested the previous accountant to send me all the company files. He has refused, saying that they are as much his property as mine and that he would be happy to copy everything and send it to me, for a fee.

    I talked to an accountant in KS and he explained to me in KS that the accountant can normally keep copies but must return original documents when requested and the copies are at the accountants expense.

    What does the law say in VA? Does he have the right to keep all our original records even though he no longer has anything to do with the corp?

    What are my options?

  • #2
    He has to give you the documents but can charge a modest fee for copying, 10 cents or so a page.


    • #3
      Why do we get the copies since they belong to the corporation and he is not part of the corp? I would think if he wanted copies for his records he would have to pay for them himself.


      • #4
        He keeps one set and you can get originals. Normally the original agreement would also address this point.


        Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
        Smile :) Stick Out Tongue :p Wink ;) Mad :mad: Big Grin :D Frown :( Embarrassment :o Confused :confused: Roll Eyes (Sarcastic) :rolleyes: Cool :cool: EEK! :eek:

        the color of milk is... (write the answer twice with an "@" between the words)

        widgetinstance 213 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.