Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Comfort Suites -- I had a "phantom" charge on my bank account

In December, I stayed at a Comfort Suites on a business trip. I work for the city so my stay was tax exempt. I paid with my debit card, presented my tax exempt form, and my bank account was charged the day I checked out of the hotel. Now almost a month later, I noticed a "phantom" charge on my bank account. Today, 4 days later, this "phantom" charge finally showed to be a charge from Comfort Suites. I contacted them to question them and was told that the tax exempt form was lost so they needed to charge me for taxes on my stay. Without any attempt to contact me for the paperwork, they charged my bank account. I was informed that they do this every month; they charge in mass for lost tax exempt forms. They mentioned to me that they knew this was unethical business practice. Can they legally do this? Take an additional charge without my authorization after almost a month's time?

re: Comfort Suites -- I had a "phantom" charge on my bank account

Normally no. Report it to your card company.

Comment

Re: Comfort Suites -- I had a "phantom" charge on my bank account

My advice to all: Tell your bank or card company to cancel the charge and that you do not accept it.

Let the merchant fight it out with the bank or card company.

I just received the same so-called phantom charge which then appeared to be a leading hotel in Nevada and it is VERY irritating. The charge is 35 days after my stay.
      Do I have to watch the card every day now...jeesh

Comment

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
        My advice to all: Tell your bank or card company to cancel the charge and that you do not accept it.

Let the merchant fight it out with the bank or card company.

I just received the same so-called phantom charge which then appeared to be a leading hotel in Nevada and it is VERY irritating. The charge is 35 days after my stay.
        Do I have to watch the card every day now...jeesh

Don't comment on eleven year old threads.

Comment

Why not??

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
          Auto-Saved
          Smile :) Stick Out Tongue :p Wink ;) Mad :mad: Big Grin :D Frown :( Embarrassment :o Confused :confused: Roll Eyes (Sarcastic) :rolleyes: Cool :cool: EEK! :eek:
          x

Do cats say meow or mooo?... (write the answer twice with an "@" between the words)

widgetinstance 213 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
          Working...
          X