•  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Severe Bullying in the Workplace

Hello,

I'm writing on behalf of a friend, here is their story:

He has worked for the company for the most of his working life. He;s a proper company man and has dedicated his life to it. To the point he's moved himself and his family to the US to help grow the company and develop the product in a new, thriving environment.

So he's now based in the US with a company based in the UK.

Over the year, he's been subject to direct and indirect bullying, character discrimination and is suffering greatly. Financially, they were offered a 'bond' to move out there, this has since been retracted and they have been ordered to pay this back. This leaves them unable to come home as they spent all of their own money moving out there.

He, essentially, is in charge of one side of the US but, over Christmas, the entire staff, apart from him, were given at least two weeks off. He was forced to work so many hours, and still is, that he barely sleeps at night.

He continues to suffer from sleep deprivation due to the hours needed to be put in and yet the company won't let him employ someone else to train up or support his side of the US.

He has had his phone tapped, his emails are being monitored and there is an air of outcasting within the company. They have some evidence of some of these activities but can't prove everything... is it worth trying to source a lawyer and fighting this company or do you think it will be thrown out of court on the basis of 'tit for tat'?

Thank you in advance for any help or advice.

Re: Severe Bullying in the Workplace

I wish to inform you that he may serve a written notice on the company management. If they do not resolve the matter, then he may file a lawsuit. The burden of proof will be on him to show the harassment meted out to him. The Court will consider all the facts and decide the matter. Alternatively, he may contact the nearest office of the Department of Labor and seek guidance as to his situation.

AFF

Comment

Thank you so much for such a quick response.

I'm talking to the family at this point as he's away with work (as usual). He's been set up as manager then demoted without any official paperwork to support this.

I will pass on your comment as it may give the family hope that there is something they could look into.

Many thanks again.

Comment

As a salary employee, they can require he work 23.95 out of 24 hours with some states having a Sunday exception. Though unfortunate, nothing you have presented appears illegal. Nothing is stopping him from quitting and returning home if he wishes. It is a financial decision just as many others are. He might want to consider seeing a doctor for a short duration sleeping pill.
        Due to a recent promotion, I should now be referred to as Major Obvious.

I would not be trying to provide information and knowledge if I did not sympathize.

Some days it is just not worth chewing through the restraints to face life.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
        Auto-Saved
        Smile :) Stick Out Tongue :p Wink ;) Mad :mad: Big Grin :D Frown :( Embarrassment :o Confused :confused: Roll Eyes (Sarcastic) :rolleyes: Cool :cool: EEK! :eek:
        x
        Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
        x

the color of a banana is... (write the answer twice with an "@" between the words)

widgetinstance 213 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
        Working...
        X