USAC Banner 728x90

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Business/home agreement with a family member gone wrong...

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Business/home agreement with a family member gone wrong...

Got something a case quite unique. I will try and make as short as possible but there is SO much more to this story. Need help in deciding on taking our family members to court. We live in Texas for the record. When my husband lost his job 4 years ago his uncle offered him a job being co owner of a company if he could get the company going from the ground up. 2 years later my husband with the help of his uncle funding this company from a sister company was able to get this company up and going ON HIS OWN. He worked himself to the bone to get "his" company going. All the sudden my husband was "let go" for no reasoning and the Uncle's daughter took over. We also we offered by his uncle to help us get into a home. We accepted and he bought a $140,000 home in cash and also paid to update the home (it was a foreclosure). This was done a year before my husband was fired. Originally, my husbands name was on the house then at last minute was changed to the uncles. We have the paperwork showing his name was originally on it. The agreement from the beginning (nothing signed, just verbal) was that my husband would not receive any raises or any bonuses to pay off the home. Once he was fired we did not know how the home would be paid for and tried relentlessly to get a hold of his Aunt and Uncle and it was not possible for almost 7 months. Then one day his Uncle calls and says he wants us to sign a contract saying we will pay 180,000 for the home. (My husband worked his butt off for almost 3 years without a raise or bonus) The contract said we would pay $1200 monthly for 2 years and then the payment would bubble and we would have to find financing because he would be turning 65 this year and has to have the house out of his name. We cannot afford this and if we would have known from the get go that they were planning on letting his daughter run the company once my husband did all the dirty work we would have just bought a MUCH less expensive home. My question is now they are threatening to kick us out of our home and we want to know if we should file first before they do and if we have any chance of having the upperhand. We knew his uncle was a snake but did not know he could do this to family. By the way, after this all happened we found out that this has already been done to a different family member that we do not stay in contact with!! Please help!

Re: Business/home agreement with a family member gone wrong...

I wish to inform you that oral agreements are valid agreements, however, difficult to prove. Moreover, existence and terms of a contract can be proved by the conduct of the parties. Your husband may give a written notice to the other party. If the matter is not resolved then your husband may file a lawsuit. Your husband may provide both circumstantial, documentary and other evidence which may show his view point. He may conduct discovery. He may claim damages and costs. The court will consider all the facts and decide the matter.

AFF

Comment

The uncle financed a business giving your husband a job. The uncle bought a house giving your whole family shelter. You don't indicate you put any money into that.

Now, for whatever reason, the uncle no longer wants your husband working for him.

Time to find a new job and a place to live. I'm not sure what you feel entitled to?

Comment

He offered him a job and CO OWNERSHIP of the company for working strenuously for very little pay. This was known by not only his uncle but also by fellow employees. His pay was low for the amount of work he put in. He traveled constantly and missed the birth of his CHILD to make sure this business was ran right. He worked overtime every day and never received any bonuses or a raise in the 3 years he worked there. All of that was supposed to go towards the house. His uncle called it "Chinese money". We have now invested money into this home over the 2 years we have lived here with no contract. The company he built was ripped from him so his uncle and his daughter can profit from all his hard work. So yes, we feel that we are owed something. We don't want the house for free. We want a fair contract. The contract he has gave us basically has us voiding it from the get go and we are not willing to give up that easily like the last family member he did this to did. He is known for being a snake. He is a very smart man and uses his intelligence in a very immoral way. We just never thought he would do this to family.

Comment

I am not familiar with the term Chinese money.

I am familiar with the phrase worth the paper it's written on. I'm going to assume your husband did not get one drop of this in writing.

So the uncle can say he wasn't satisfied with nephews performance.

You do not have a leg to stand on, so to speak. You need to find work and a home.

Comment

We have the home originally in our name and the paperwork to show it. That his intentions were for us to be the owners. We have several people that his uncle also fired for no reasoning that are willing to testify against him. We have emails exchanged between him and his uncle. We also have someone in the family that this has been done to before. This exact same scenario. I beg to differ. He is already employed with a new job so no need to find new work. Like I have stated before we aren't going down without a fight when it comes to this house. There is a lot more to this story just don't want to get too in depth on here.

Comment

As you noted, you have no written proof of anything. You could pay a lawyer and sue for all the loses you claim, however, unless uncle confesses to the judge, you are out of luck.
              Due to a recent promotion, I should now be referred to as Major Obvious.

I would not be trying to provide information and knowledge if I did not sympathize.

Some days it is just not worth chewing through the restraints to face life.

Comment

The home obviously was transferred back to the uncles name with your approval (since you had to sign off on that).

Uncle can fire EVERYBODY that ever worked for him, for absolutely no given reason whatsoever.

So you have a house you willingly gave up and a bunch of other sour grapes. All you get with that is whine.

Comment

Originally posted by BrittanyT View Post
                  Got something a case quite unique. I will try and make as short as possible but there is SO much more to this story. Need help in deciding on taking our family members to court. We live in Texas for the record. When my husband lost his job 4 years ago his uncle offered him a job being co owner of a company if he could get the company going from the ground up. 2 years later my husband with the help of his uncle funding this company from a sister company was able to get this company up and going ON HIS OWN. He worked himself to the bone to get "his" company going. All the sudden my husband was "let go" for no reasoning and the Uncle's daughter took over. We also we offered by his uncle to help us get into a home. We accepted and he bought a $140,000 home in cash and also paid to update the home (it was a foreclosure). This was done a year before my husband was fired. Originally, my husbands name was on the house then at last minute was changed to the uncles. We have the paperwork showing his name was originally on it. The agreement from the beginning (nothing signed, just verbal) was that my husband would not receive any raises or any bonuses to pay off the home. Once he was fired we did not know how the home would be paid for and tried relentlessly to get a hold of his Aunt and Uncle and it was not possible for almost 7 months. Then one day his Uncle calls and says he wants us to sign a contract saying we will pay 180,000 for the home. (My husband worked his butt off for almost 3 years without a raise or bonus) The contract said we would pay $1200 monthly for 2 years and then the payment would bubble and we would have to find financing because he would be turning 65 this year and has to have the house out of his name. We cannot afford this and if we would have known from the get go that they were planning on letting his daughter run the company once my husband did all the dirty work we would have just bought a MUCH less expensive home. My question is now they are threatening to kick us out of our home and we want to know if we should file first before they do and if we have any chance of having the upperhand. We knew his uncle was a snake but did not know he could do this to family. By the way, after this all happened we found out that this has already been done to a different family member that we do not stay in contact with!! Please help!
                  The paper trail is critical in these dealings. Whatever agreements you had as to the business and also what the paper trail shows on house ownership. Getting a house into and out of one's name involves deeds --the language in the deed and the circumstances surrounding how they were executed.

My advice is that you take everything you have to a real estate attorney and let the lawyer examine the documents and then advise. Anyone who would attempt to do so -- without examining the documents -- and not being an attorney duly licensed to practice in your state is sticking their neck out to opine blind.

Comment

Originally posted by AFFA View Post
                    I wish to inform you that oral agreements are valid agreements, however, difficult to prove. Moreover, existence and terms of a contract can be proved by the conduct of the parties. Your husband may give a written notice to the other party. If the matter is not resolved then your husband may file a lawsuit. Your husband may provide both circumstantial, documentary and other evidence which may show his view point. He may conduct discovery. He may claim damages and costs. The court will consider all the facts and decide the matter.

AFF
                    Oral (parole) agreements are NOT valid when it comes to real estate. This answer is incorrect.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                    Auto-Saved
                    Smile :) Stick Out Tongue :p Wink ;) Mad :mad: Frown :( Big Grin :D Confused :confused: Embarrassment :o Roll Eyes (Sarcastic) :rolleyes: Cool :cool: EEK! :eek:
                    x

the color of a blueberry is... (write the answer twice with an "@" between the words)

widgetinstance 213 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                    Working...
                    X