Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• discrimination / monoply

My husband and I have worked for the same company for over 22 years (respectively) . I have worked the last 4 years as a "contract labor" employee (without a contract). My husband is an executive with the company. They very often ask me to create programs, and attend events on their behalf (or my husbands) and regularly commend the "favors" ( meaning no $$) I do for them. I have brought them thousands of clients over the years (totalling tens of thousands of $$). Some for personal monitary gain (less than $10,000 year)....most out of loyalty with no monitary gain. Recently I finished several (unpaid) projects as a favor for the CEO of the company. I presented a book idea 3 times to the company. It was rejected each time. I told them that I was going to do something with the written material and they said fine. I started a website utilizing only my material. I did not include ANY of the company's materials but rather the rejected materials. They threatened my husbands future and job with the company if I did not cease and desist. I was told that any ideas I had in any project that may even indirectly relate to their customers are to be brought to them and they have the right to decided to take the project and what they will pay me on a sliding schedule. We are talking paying me $200 for a project that will potentially reach 300,000 clients and have earning potential for the company in the hundreds of thousands.
    They allow other employees with contracts that say they must refrain from similar side jobs, to partake in such activities and look away. 3/4 of the "hand picked" office is allowed to "slip by" unnoticed, encouraged or allowed to make profit from individual projects they initiate. I have been personally told that male employees make a better showing so I should send future communication through them.
    We moved 2 years ago and my husband is still short over 40,000 that they promised him when we arrived 2 years ago. It seems we are being purposely discriminated against (me inparticularly as a female). What are our rights here?? My husband signed a contract stating that he will not compete if he leaves the company for 18 monthss. It does not state anything about family members ( I worked for the co. before we were married). Can they stop me from doing this if I use only my own material?

Re: discrimination / monoply

Are you an independent contractor or actual employee...

Comment

I am an independant contractor now. I used to work for them over 5 years ago.

Comment

It unfortunately is not illegal for them to prohibit side jobs they feel may compete, or even to fire you, just as you can quit at any time. So you may need to either negotiate a solution or even consider not working for them. Usually all sides can come to some kind of agreement on issues like this.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
        Auto-Saved
        Smile :) Stick Out Tongue :p Wink ;) Mad :mad: Big Grin :D Frown :( Embarrassment :o Confused :confused: Roll Eyes (Sarcastic) :rolleyes: Cool :cool: EEK! :eek:
        x

Do cats say meow or mooo?... (write the answer twice with an "@" between the words)

widgetinstance 213 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
        Working...
        X