Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Do I have a right to seek my unpaid wages?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Do I have a right to seek my unpaid wages?

I was referred by an employment agency to a Direct Hire position in late September, and was hired by the firm. When I arrived on my first day, I was given a rather large software manual, a test program, and was told that I would have to teach myself how the product worked because my employer, "could not afford to spend the time and money to train someone who may not be around for more than a few months."

I also recieved periodically during the day my employee handbook, confidentiality contracts, formal offering of employment, job description, etc. I signed everything except the formal offering of employment, which my employer did sign.

My employer wanted me to come along to a "product training" for the next two days. I was asked on my first day if I wanted to leave for the client's that night, or early the next day. I chose early the next day.

At this time, I had a cold, showed symptoms, and was taking OTC medication. Over the two training days, I had no work except to go through the manual and take notes, which I was able to do despite being very drowsy from the medication. My employer did not agree.

When we returned to the office after the second day, I went to my computer and started to fill out my time spreadsheet. I was about to save it when my boss asked me to come into the office. I was dismissed, the reason being that according to my boss, "I did nothing but sleep for two days." I was also told by my employer that they "were going to see if they even had to pay me for showing up to work for the last two days."

I reported this immediatley to the employment agency. To my knowledge, the employer chose to have very minimal contact with the agency, to the point of not contacting the recruiter who referred me to the position.

It is now November and I have not recieved compensation for the three days spent with the firm. Since I was unable to print out or save my timesheet, I cannot give the employment agency any record of my hours for compensation.

Can I seek compensation in the absence of my signing a formal offering of employment? I still have my forms and handbook, which states that the handbook itself, "does not constitute a formal offering of employment and is not a legal document." Would these help my case?

Re: Do I have a right to seek my unpaid wages?

Yes--you may sue them for those wages in small claims. Most likely they will pay as soon as you file.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
    Auto-Saved
    Smile :) Stick Out Tongue :p Wink ;) Mad :mad: Big Grin :D Frown :( Embarrassment :o Confused :confused: Roll Eyes (Sarcastic) :rolleyes: Cool :cool: EEK! :eek:
    x

the color of a pink dog is ... (write the answer twice with an "@" between the words)

widgetinstance 213 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
    Working...
    X