X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Disagreeable
    replied
    Re: Student loan -- I did not receive a certificate or graduate from the school

Originally posted by 3rd party View Post
    While the fact that you did not graduate from the school will not relieve you of the responsibility of repayment there is a ray of hope. SInce the school closed down within 6 months of being enrolled and you did not graduate there is another possibility. If you have not been able to transfer your credits elsewhere you may qualify for a closed school discharge. I would advise you to contact the loan holder to have them send you the appropriate application or download it from www.ed.gov. I can't guarantee it will work but it sounds like a possibility in your case.
    Incorrect. I had already explored the possibility. The time period for discharge is closer. 90 days after.

You are not eligible for discharge of your Direct Loans or FFEL Program loans if your school closes and any of the following is true:
    • You withdraw more than 90 days before the school closes.

Leave a comment:

• goddessoflubboc
    replied
    Originally posted by Friend In Court View Post
    This applies to government loans like Pell grants.
    The Pell Grant is not a loan, it is a grant. It does not get paid back.

Leave a comment:

Guest replied

I think the US govt should bar loans to schools that are not fully accredited!
    which would mean if the school is not fully accredited, then the govt
    shall not provide a loan to the student. This would be the most responsible act....

The one poster is right, if you have a student loan, then they will purse you
    until the day you die. Our govt will make financial deals with terrorist countries,
    but you will not get a deal concerning your student loan until it is paid in full or
    unless there is a legal way to resolve the student loan....

Your govt is more considerate on providing aide to terrorist countries
    rather then working out a deal to settle your student debt, go figure...

If you are a terrorist country:
    Get free money from the US.

If you have a student loan:
    You are screwed until paid in full....

DO NOT GET A STUDENT LOAN UNLESS YOU REALLY HAVE TOO.
    AND THE GOVT DOES NOT CARE IF YOU WENT TO A SHADY SCHOOL.

AND DO NOT GO TO A SCHOOL THAT IS NOT FULLY ACCREDITED.
    THESE TYPE OF SCHOOLS OFFER FALSE DREAMS AND HOPES....

Leave a comment:

• Friend In Court
    replied

Originally posted by Disagreeable View Post
    Depending on what type of student loan this is, it may not toll and you could be collected against until you die.
    This applies to government loans like Pell grants.

Leave a comment:

• 3rd party
    replied

While the fact that you did not graduate from the school will not relieve you of the responsibility of repayment there is a ray of hope. SInce the school closed down within 6 months of being enrolled and you did not graduate there is another possibility. If you have not been able to transfer your credits elsewhere you may qualify for a closed school discharge. I would advise you to contact the loan holder to have them send you the appropriate application or download it from www.ed.gov. I can't guarantee it will work but it sounds like a possibility in your case.

Leave a comment:

• Disagreeable
    replied

Originally posted by Friend In Court View Post
    This post was not about 'student loans' but a contract between the student and school.
    You seem to have strayed down the wrong path on this. The issue is between OP and Stafford Loan.

have a debt collector harrasing me for a student loan for a school that closed for fraud.

Leave a comment:

• Friend In Court
    replied

Originally posted by Disagreeable View Post
    Depending on what type of student loan this is, it may not toll and you could be collected against until you die.
    This post was not about 'student loans' but a contract between the student and school.

Leave a comment:

• Disagreeable
    replied

Short answer, Yes.

Leave a comment:

• lorrydoran1229
    replied

so what you are telling is that i have to pay for the loan.even with the paper work stating IF I GRADUATE ON SCHEDULE WHICH I DID NOT. I never received a certification. i did not complete internship because the school closed and the companies we were doing our internship said we were not qualified to do our internship because of the school closing for fraud.

Leave a comment:

• Disagreeable
    replied

Generally speaking, a Stafford Loan is not subject to a statute of limitations. There are certain criteria outlined for forgiveness, however, you do not appear to qualify.
    Student Loan Forgiveness < Stafford Loans Repayment

Leave a comment:

• lorrydoran1229
    replied

and also i did not apply for the loan thru the bank the school applied for it.

Leave a comment:

• lorrydoran1229
    replied

well according to the paper work i have it states that the stafford loan payments schedule if i graduate as scheduled, i did not graduate as scheduled due to the school closing for fraud.and the payments will be due 6 months after graduation.did not graduate from the school because of closing.so there for i did not get a certificate.

Leave a comment:

• Disagreeable
    replied

Leave a comment:

• lorrydoran1229
    replied

I would like to ask should i get a lawyer,for i am not a good writter.and if i don't respond to this letter from the collection agency what can happen to me even though this is 6 years old already.

Leave a comment:

• lorrydoran1229
    replied

Thank you very much for the help and information. i greatly appreciate the help.

Leave a comment:

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
Auto-Saved
Smile :) Stick Out Tongue :p Wink ;) Mad :mad: Big Grin :D Frown :( Embarrassment :o Confused :confused: Roll Eyes (Sarcastic) :rolleyes: Cool :cool: EEK! :eek:
x
Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
x

the color of a banana is... (write the answer twice with an "@" between the words)

widgetinstance 213 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
Working...
X