Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I live in Ohio, but the credit cards are from, California, Florida and maybe Ohio

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I live in Ohio, but the credit cards are from, California, Florida and maybe Ohio

I am 62 and years ago prior to 1994 my ex husband talked me into signing up for pre approved credit cards. I have never worked, Then he racked up $40,000 credit card debt on these cards, then he left me. I had no way of paying the cards then nor do I now, None have been paid on since 1994.
    Now I live in Ohio, but these cards are from, California, Florida and maybe Ohio. We moved a lot. I dont know whay cards they are for or when, he took all the papers when he left.
    I am on social security, a small check and it my only source of income I have.
    I reieved collection letters from 2 companies that state they bought my old credit card debts, some of them, not all and want me to pay.
    I threw out these letters because I barely getby on my check. It is for $1,040 a month and I must pay rent, utilities, food, and medical and bus fare.
    I have furniture, tv. computer, etc, that is 8 to 10 years old. I live in an apartment. I have no bank accounts, no savings, no checking. I cash my check each month at the grocery store.
    What exactly can they take away from me? I have no reciepts on anything I own to prove when they were bought. Since I NO longer live in California does that mean that the debts from there will never reach the Statute of limiations for California and the same for Florida? I am never going back to these states, so How does this work???? Also on the original credit card applications my exhusband talked me into signing, He was the one who filled them out for me, putting down that I worked, and made so much and all and then said to me sign here at the bottom or I will walk out and leave you homeless, well I was terrifyed of him and signed. We are divorced now and I dont know where he is.
    Help!!!!!!

re: I live in Ohio, but the credit cards are from, California, Florida and maybe Ohio

What happened to the debt in the divorce?

Comment

re: I live in Ohio, but the credit cards are from, California, Florida and maybe Ohio

This is Juliana March to answer your question.
      What happened in Court? After my husband left me to be homeless and ran up all the credit cards. First of all he MADE Me apply for them, he filled out the applications and said sign at the bottom and I did out of fear of him.
      Then he charged everything for yers, rent, food, doctors, etc. cash adv.
      He simplu quit working and lived off of 14 credit cards or so that were only in my name only. He had others in joint names and some in his name,
      Mine came to about $40,000
      When all the crdit cards ran out and he could not get any more he ran off and left me homeless. NOW I am 62 and ill, I never could work before because of illness then too. Someone I met took me in and gave me a place to stay. Then my exhusband took me to court for a divorce years later.
      The judge said in his ruling I had to pay all bills in my name and my exhusand pay all bills in my name. He said no one forced me to sign these credit cards, but that is NOT true, but he did not believe me. He simply said get a job. I cannot and could not then.
      So no bills have been paid since 1994. Now my only source of income is my social security check, I have no bank accounts, nothing and I am ill and 62 years old.

Comment

If the judge has already ruled it will be tough to change that now--you could consult bankruptcy counsel as well?

Comment

Yes the judge ruled on this 4 years ago, I cannot afford to file bancruptcy as my old income is a social security check, no savings. I live month to month and barely afford food. Banckruptcy cost several hundred and I dont enen have $50 to spare.
          My main worry is that collection agencies can come into my apartment and take away my furniture and personal posessions that I could never replace.
          It is all good furniture about 5 or 6 years old, but not bought on the credit cards. What can they take away from me???
          I have no reciepts or proof of anything.

Comment

They have to sue and win first, and then you are allowed to keep personal items etc. even when they try to collect.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
            Auto-Saved
            Smile :) Stick Out Tongue :p Wink ;) Mad :mad: Big Grin :D Frown :( Embarrassment :o Confused :confused: Roll Eyes (Sarcastic) :rolleyes: Cool :cool: EEK! :eek:
            x

the color of a banana is... (write the answer twice with an "@" between the words)

widgetinstance 213 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
            Working...
            X