Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Credit Card Debt for Elderly

My grandmother is in her 70's and is dealing with credit card debit. She tried a debt consolidation agency advertised on TV due to her credit card interest rates where too high to make her minimun payments. The credit card companies would not work with her with the interest even though for several years she made every payment on time and more than the required payment. She was advised by the debt consolidation agencies to stop making payments and was told that she paid double in interest than what the balance due on the account and the companies could do nothing. After doing what the agency suggested she stopped making the payments. She received letters, phone calls, etc. One of the credit card companies have made several calls to her son in law and even calling his daughter that lives in another state (the daughter has NO blood relation to my grandmother, no matching last name) and leaving messages stating that "you cannot ignore my phone calls any longer and you are facing foreclosure". My grandparents barely live on medicare and social security and cannot afford to lose their home or have any income garnished. The children and myself are trying to get the best advice on what to do so our family doesnt lose their home. ANY help that you can provide is greatly appreciated.

Re: Credit Card Debt for Elderly

You may demand written validation of the debt to prove what if anything is actually owed. Notwithstanding what they say, these kinds of creditors often will not really sue so you could just wait to see what if any action they take...and you could argue they misled you, the product or service was originally not what you expected, etc. You could also threaten bankruptcy if they actually do try to sue... See also http://www.worldlaw.eu/article/1412/

WLD lawyers can intervene if need be. Email them at [email protected]

Comment

Re: Credit Card Debt for Elderly

i dont think you have to worry at all if I am not mistaken you can't force people to pay on a non secure credit card with social secuity money.If I am right the federa laws says you are exempt from credit card debt when you get ssa or ssd

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
      Auto-Saved
      Smile :) Stick Out Tongue :p Wink ;) Mad :mad: Big Grin :D Frown :( Embarrassment :o Confused :confused: Roll Eyes (Sarcastic) :rolleyes: Cool :cool: EEK! :eek:
      x

the color of milk is... (write the answer twice with an "@" between the words)

widgetinstance 213 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
      Working...
      X