Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Old debt -- The statute of limitations has passed by over 4 years

I have an old credit card account that was charged off several years ago. No activity on this account for 8 years. Now I get a notice from an attorney\'s office (?) addressed to my maiden name and John Doe (maiden name). States that law suit has been started. Paperwork is on legal looking court paperwork. But there is no filing stamp so has not been filed with court. The statute of limitations has passed by over 4 years. Should I just ignore this notice or send them a letter stating statute of limitations has passed? Amount claimed is only around $1100 but I had been told years ago that since ex-husband had not made payments as per verbal agreement and the account was charges off and so many years had passed that I was in to way obligated.

re: Old debt -- The statute of limitations has passed by over 4 years

It may be too old. See debts and judgments: http://www.worldlaw.eu/article.php?id=1758

If they file you still have to go to court and raise the SOL defense.

Comment

re: Old debt -- The statute of limitations has passed by over 4 years

The limitations of the card is OVER WITH you don't even have to acknowledge the people. Most states have a 4 to 6 yr SOL Statute of Limitations and the credit bureau 7 years. You can write the credit bureau to have the collection taken off since it is past the 7 yr period.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
      Auto-Saved
      Smile :) Stick Out Tongue :p Wink ;) Mad :mad: Big Grin :D Frown :( Embarrassment :o Confused :confused: Roll Eyes (Sarcastic) :rolleyes: Cool :cool: EEK! :eek:
      x

the color of a red rose is... (write the answer twice with an "@" between the words)

widgetinstance 213 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
      Working...
      X