Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Received a notice to garnish my wages for what appears to be a bad check

I recently received a notice to garnish my wages for what appears to be a bad check written in 1991. The amount owed is 961 dollars. Apparently an order to garnish was granted in December of 1991. Is this order still good or is there some kind of statute on this? Also if this was a joint checking account and I am not the one who actually wrote the check am I responsible?

It likely is still valid. If you were not involved, inform the DA if one was involved and/or the court. You could be removed from the action or could arrange to sue in small claims or collect from the person that did write the check.

Comment

How long do judgments last in your State? The judgment itself may not have been properly renewed/revived, in which case there would be no legal basis to garnish wages. You should get a copy of the judgment, see if it was renewed, and then report back to us.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
      Auto-Saved
      Smile :) Stick Out Tongue :p Wink ;) Mad :mad: Big Grin :D Frown :( Embarrassment :o Confused :confused: Roll Eyes (Sarcastic) :rolleyes: Cool :cool: EEK! :eek:
      x

the color of milk is... (write the answer twice with an "@" between the words)

widgetinstance 213 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
      Working...
      X