X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Does wife's bankruptcy affect my potential BK

Texas

My wife declared bankruptcy three years ago and I was not involved.

Can I now declare bankruptcy? Are there any restrictions due to a previous spouse having declared? Thank you!

Re: Does wife's bankruptcy affect my potential BK

I wish to inform you that bankruptcy of your wife does not affect your right to have bankruptcy. Bankruptcy filed by your wife does not affect rights of your creditors nor your bankruptcy may affect any right of creditor of your wife. You can thus file bankruptcy.

AFF

Comment

If a debt is created between you and another person that will not be affected by the bankruptcy status of your spouse and vice versa. So you can file bankruptcy without considering the fact that your wife is declared as bankrupt.

Comment

If you file for bankruptcy without your spouse, it will typically not affect your spouse's credit. But if you have joint debts, the fact that you filed for bankruptcy to discharge the debt may appear on your spouse's credit report.

Comment

And lots of married people DO have joint debts in one form or another.
          Car, mortgage, insurance, credit cards with both names etc.

Comment

Originally posted by Oped View Post
            Texas

My wife declared bankruptcy three years ago and I was not involved.

Can I now declare bankruptcy? Are there any restrictions due to a previous spouse having declared? Thank you!
            Did it myself after my spouse did, it was a piece of cake, no problems.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
            Auto-Saved
            Big Grin :D Frown :( Embarrassment :o Confused :confused: Smile :) Stick Out Tongue :p Wink ;) Mad :mad: Roll Eyes (Sarcastic) :rolleyes: Cool :cool: EEK! :eek:
            x
            Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
            x

Do cats say meow or mooo?... (write the answer twice with an "@" between the words)

widgetinstance 213 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
            Working...
            X