Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

In NY small claims can I refuse a judge that is not a lawyer?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• In NY small claims can I refuse a judge that is not a lawyer?

In NY small claims can I refuse a judge that is not a lawyer and ask for only for a "lawyer" as the judge in small claims?

No.

The whole idea of small claims court is that it's simplified and informal. A judge doesn't have to be a lawyer. If you aren't satisfied with the decision you can file an appeal.

https://www.nycourts.gov/courthelp/S...ms/index.shtml

Comment

Not every state allows non-lawyers to be judges but NY does, unfortunately IMO.

I am not sure it's the best idea myself. When I used to live there I went twice to small claims and was NOT impressed.

Comment

I wish to inform you that Small Claims Court Arbitrator Volunteers are Attorneys admitted to the New York State bar at least five years and who have completed training and have been sworn in. Over 2800 Small Claims Court Arbitrators in New York City preside over 95% of the cases heard in the Small Claims Court.

AFF

Comment

Originally posted by Guest View Post
          Not every state allows non-lawyers to be judges but NY does, unfortunately IMO.

I am not sure it's the best idea myself. When I used to live there I went twice to small claims and was NOT impressed.
          Why?

Did you lose?

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
          Auto-Saved
          Wink ;) Mad :mad: Big Grin :D Frown :( Embarrassment :o Confused :confused: Smile :) Stick Out Tongue :p Roll Eyes (Sarcastic) :rolleyes: Cool :cool: EEK! :eek:
          x
          Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
          x

Do cats say meow or mooo?... (write the answer twice with an "@" between the words)