Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• When You Can't Serve Papers in California

I am one of several victims of someone with a libellous website. Another of this person's victims has filed a suit in Small Claims in Escondido, CA. The defendant did live in Beaumont, CA but the postmaster himself went to the apt. and was told she had moved and did not leave a forwarding address. The court date is middle of January, and we have to have proof she has been proved. We were told that publication in a paper is not good enough. How are you supposed to serve someone you can't find? The plaintiff can't afford hundreds of dollars for a detective. We do know this person collects SS, but they would not give out her address. She has a motor vehicle, but we doubt she has updated the address on her registration or license.

Re: When You Can't Serve Papers in California

Sorry, that was supposed to read "we have to have proof she has been served".

Comment

You have to find them one way or another unless the court approves service by publication which is not often approved. Private detectives can usually locate a person if need be.

See also http://www.worldlaw.eu/article/1077

...for some tips that also could help track down somebody.

Comment

http://www.worldlaw.eu/article/854/

here some other tips i had seen

Comment

I don't think any of those methods will work. This person has no credit cards. She should have a credit record, but if she did not leave a forwarding address at her last residence, the credit bureaus would not have it either. Even that address was not in her name, because she was living with her son. The only things that might have an address that have been updated, would be her driver's license, car registration, and her SS, since they have to mail her checks. But she has kept her mailbox in Beaumont, CA and that is likely what is on the SS records. I don't know if they allow postal boxes on driver's licenses or registrations, but if they do, we are really out of luck.

Comment

hire a private detective for a fixed flat fee...often it can be relatively cheap

Comment

California does allow P.O. Boxes on Driver License and Auto Registration. That is how mine are.

Comment

Originally posted by Unregistered
                I am one of several victims of someone with a libellous website. Another of this person's victims has filed a suit in Small Claims in Escondido, CA. The defendant did live in Beaumont, CA but the postmaster himself went to the apt. and was told she had moved and did not leave a forwarding address. The court date is middle of January, and we have to have proof she has been proved. We were told that publication in a paper is not good enough. How are you supposed to serve someone you can't find? The plaintiff can't afford hundreds of dollars for a detective. We do know this person collects SS, but they would not give out her address. She has a motor vehicle, but we doubt she has updated the address on her registration or license.
                in order to receive SS that office MUST be kept informed of up to date addresses. they may not be allowed to give you the address, however the court can request/ order it be given to the court for the purpose of service of court documentation.
                ask your attornies to file a motion for the court to try to do that.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                Auto-Saved
                Stick Out Tongue :p Smile :) Mad :mad: Wink ;) Frown :( Big Grin :D Confused :confused: Embarrassment :o Roll Eyes (Sarcastic) :rolleyes: Cool :cool: EEK! :eek:
                x

Do cats say meow or mooo?... (write the answer twice with an "@" between the words)

widgetinstance 213 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                Working...
                X