USAC Banner 728x90

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Suing University Of Phoenix, What Are My Chances?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Suing University Of Phoenix, What Are My Chances?

I need to get with you obviously. The financial aid department of phoenix online has left me homeless.
    an unprofessional fascilitator of the hum 111 course failed to give me proper accomodation as a disabled student when i was sick with pnuemonia. I am a disabled student who relies on my loans and grants to pay my bills. The fascilitator waited until almost a month had passed before changing my grade to a passing one which cancelled my eligibility for aid and left me unable to pay my bills and i am now on the street.
    i made several requests for assistance to find a new home and only asked a fraction of what the school has cost me. I was then met with lies, waiting games and eventually a threatening email from the administrator tondra saying i was to cease and desist and not bring the matter up again.
    if we can band together we can make this a multi million dollar class action lawsuit.
    my email is [email protected]

Comment

I completed the Master's and Credential program with UOP. I received documentation that all of the steps necessary were completed and that UOP would be filing my documents with the state of California Commission for Teacher Credential. I received my Master's Degree in 2009 when the recommendation letter should have been sent to the Commission, apparently this didn't happen. I applied for an elementary teacher position and just found out that my credential paperwork was never submitted. Now UOP is not willing to correct there error. The are in fact demanding that I retake the CSET again because my scores are no longer valid. Had UOP done what I paid them to do the first time, this wouldn't be necessary. Now the job opportunity may not be a possibility. I am to suffer for UOP's error, this can't be legal. I struggled once when trying to be a full time student, going through these tests while pregnant, trying to set myself up for success when the country was going through a depression and now I am being penalized. My family is being penalized, I paid for a service and UOP failed me. Planning on Suing UOP, what are my chances?

Comment

Where so I start? I am a Veteran and UofP have made my life a living nightmare. I started classes back in September 2011 and just when I thought my degree was complete with the last class the Academic Advisor informed me that I had one more upper division elective remaining. I was enrolled in a Texas Teachers Certification program that dropped me because I did not obtain my degree in time that was stated originally. I ended up trying to take several other classes and was too stressed and upset to finish. I left the University with 97% of my degree completed. It seemed as if the Instructors as well as the Advisors were determined to make it hard for me. I complained and reported yet I ended up with no degree. I decided to go back and its all about money with this University. They want to be able to control all finances coming in for you before you can see anything. If we are in college then we are adults, and I don't need the University to control my finances. They only awarded me 655.00 over the amount of the class. They gave me such a hard time trying to revert what they claim I selected for them to manage my account that I left it alone. Now that the class is complete it is paid for but they are holding on to my funds to see if it needs to go toward future classes. Not considering that I need gas, food and materials for the class. I have no finance for this class yet and I have completed it. The FAW is a joke and it only accommodates the school not the student. Who is paying back the loans? Whenever you talk to anyone, you are told anything like you are stupid and dumb. They have no integrity. They lock certain forms on the Faw so that you can't go in and change it and they tell you if you do it will throw off you aid. For some of us school is our job and how we get money to gain our degree and finance to survive. They have taken my VA benefits and applied to a class I dropped and I ended up owing the VA because I received an F for a grade. I am in a low paying job because I don't have a degree yet and this school has stressed me so that I am angry and disappointed. Something needs to be done with this University taking advantage of people and having no regard to lives they ruin. I have spoke with Dispute Management and they are a joke. They work for the University and probably sit right next to you Advisor.

Comment

I'm confused how you need gas and food to take online courses. Is the gas to make grocery store runs for munchies while you do these classes?
          Due to a recent promotion, I should now be referred to as Major Obvious.

I would not be trying to provide information and knowledge if I did not sympathize.

Some days it is just not worth chewing through the restraints to face life.

Comment

I reside in Arkansas and I am a single mother. When I chose to further my education, I chose Axia College (online) in Phoenix, AZ. Through acquisition, I was assured that my degree in teaching would be accepted in the state of Arkansas. I eventually finished my AA in Teaching degree and was in my first year of my Bachelors when it was brought to my attention that Arkansas, in fact, does NOT recognize their teaching program. Because I was misled and lied to, the time spent and the financial aid that went towards my AA in Teaching degree, was for nothing. So, I backtracked and received my AA in Teaching degree through a local 2yr college here nearby. Why didn't I just do this to begin with? At the time I had a young child and did not have the help I would need in order to attend classes. I thought I was doing the right thing by attending Axia and it would all work out and be ok. To add insult to injury, I never received my AA in Teaching degree from Axia.
            I am not "sue happy". I feel that I should be able to get back the financial aide that was paid out towards a degree that is absolutely useless to me. I feel that I was misled and now I am unable to finish my degree in teaching (Bachelors) Why would I knowingly waste my time and financial aide towards a degree that is not going to benefit me? The answer is simple....I would not.
            What can I legally do to get this right?

Comment

Nothing. There are many for profit schools issuing useless degrees. They are filled with deadbeats wanting access to additional student loan money to live on, knowing they will default later being noncollectable and foreign students attempting to exploit immigration loopholes. If you actually want a degree worth more than the paper it is written on, you must do due diligence beforehand.

I would not be trying to provide information and knowledge if I did not sympathize.

Comment

Thank you for reporting your problems with this scam of a university,. it seems for many years this institution has been operating unethically and ripping people off big time! How they have escaped the legal ramifications puzzles many people. There is obviously something wrong with the legal system to have this continue. I too was ripped off by their scams. Not to mention again, after I counted my losses they resurfaced 10 years later and put a lien on my tax return (2012)!! They also illegally obtained and kept a pell grant in my name ($2500.), took it without my knowledge, ruined my credit, falsified my grades , (i was an A+ student , their on line teachers gave me d's in an attempt to keep me enrolled in glasses ) never honored my withdrawal as I requested, which I had a right to because of the POOR classes and bogus grades and group tasks, etc. etc. I too am suing them, but this time I will win because I am going public like I should have years ago. Please get a GOOD attorney, make sure he's or she's not working for these crooks, or connected to favor the government and/or IRS. Something is really wrong. These people solicitated me through the mail with false advertising, (somehow got my name and address) targeted me, and then took advantage of me financially and caused more damage and harm to my credit, my family, my education, and my reputation. They should be investigated! There's more but I must save it for a REAL court of law, and the media will be playing more than THEIR phony commercials! Sue them for their wrong doing! This is still AMerica and this institution is taking advantage of us, using our tax dollars earmarked for OUR education, as well as OUR rightful tax refunds!! Any attorney with some smarts and a little integrity can win OUR CASES!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
                  Thank you for reporting your problems with this scam of a university,. it seems for many years this institution has been operating unethically and ripping people off big time! How they have escaped the legal ramifications puzzles many people. There is obviously something wrong with the legal system to have this continue. I too was ripped off by their scams. Not to mention again, after I counted my losses they resurfaced 10 years later and put a lien on my tax return (2012)!! They also illegally obtained and kept a pell grant in my name ($2500.), took it without my knowledge, ruined my credit, falsified my grades , (i was an A+ student , their on line teachers gave me d's in an attempt to keep me enrolled in glasses ) never honored my withdrawal as I requested, which I had a right to because of the POOR classes and bogus grades and group tasks, etc. etc. I too am suing them, but this time I will win because I am going public like I should have years ago. Please get a GOOD attorney, make sure he's or she's not working for these crooks, or connected to favor the government and/or IRS. Something is really wrong. These people solicitated me through the mail with false advertising, (somehow got my name and address) targeted me, and then took advantage of me financially and caused more damage and harm to my credit, my family, my education, and my reputation. They should be investigated! There's more but I must save it for a REAL court of law, and the media will be playing more than THEIR phony commercials! Sue them for their wrong doing! This is still AMerica and this institution is taking advantage of us, using our tax dollars earmarked for OUR education, as well as OUR rightful tax refunds!! Any attorney with some smarts and a little integrity can win OUR CASES!!!
                  Something tells me that a collaborative effort from those of us who have been scammed may be what it takes in order to get something done about this. I would be willing to get with others and pursue this further. One voice is not heard nearly as well as the voices of many combined.

Comment

Something tells me that a collaborative effort from those of us who have been scammed may be what it takes in order to get something done about this. I would be willing to get with others and pursue this further. One voice is not heard nearly as well as the voices of many combined.
                    I agree! It seems they are over charging me 5,000! I was told tuition was 19,000 and they borrowed 24,105! How can they do this????

Comment

I agree! It seems they are over charging me 5,000! I was told tuition was 19,000 and they borrowed 24,105! How can they do this????
                      I am going to put something together and see how it goes getting more people onboard.

Comment

Has anyone attempted or talked to a lawyer on this. I to attend the school and in the start it wasn't so bad but as I progressed and even to Bachelors things got real bad. I have proof that grades are offered for no participation, one instructor gave all A's as long as something was turned in, another took plagiarized material and actually lectured me for trying to deal with my team mate.
                        The quality of education is a joke and my 5th grade son has harder assignments and could teach more. I am most upset at a false representation, a degree that means nothing because no reputable company will accept this as a degree, and as my time is ending I am worried that they will lose accreditation no matter.
                        I have wasted so much time but never transferred because they claimed it would only hurt me more. The education I was promised when I first attended had changed several times to drop courses that I actually needed for my specialization. Now I read that they once again changes the course (wonder if for the better or worse) and if it is better I am out of luck because I only have four more courses to complete.
                        I am curious on a class action lawsuit or lawsuit of any kind. Currently I could even perform some tests to offer more proof of the shady education from people called instructors who just don't care. I want my money back for the following reasons..
                        I pay for my education and that means I want quality.
                        Learning teams add more to my frustration of NOT receiving a quality education. How can a school charge such high tuition when first Learning Teams affect each person thus something I should NOT pay for.
                        Work by learning teams is not graded fair. A student who does not participate still receives an A or score based on the work of others. Plagiarized material is accepted as well in some situations.
                        Instructors are not professors in addition to the fact most don't care, help, or even bother to show up until that last days.
                        Even discussions are a joke. Each course seems to teach the same thing. There is no form of testing to determine what was learned. Programming course requires pathetic programs even in the advanced.
                        I have taken several courses I know are repeats and I was to take other courses that fit my degree but instead they insisted me to REPEAT courses only to charge me more.

If you buy a product and find it not satisfactory then money is to be refunded. University of Phoenix is not a quality education as promised and has only gotten worse over the years. It is like going to a theme park that suffered an earthquake but they still charge full prices!!!

Comment

In my opinion the focus of this University is welfare and SSI families to take maximum student loans to support their living expenses with no intent to repay the loans because they know they will never be collectable.

Comment

I graduated from University of Phoenix (Baton Rouge, LA) campus in 2010. I have a bachelor of business degree. I have been unable to find work with the degree. I am now homeless with $60,000 of student loan debt. I have interviewed with employment agencies who prefer not to hire UOP graduates.

Thanks to University of Phoenix, I am homeless, in serious debt, with NO job leads. Please, how to I begin to sue University of Phoenix?

Thank You,
                            Shannah Smith,
                            [email protected]

Comment

Your own negligence in selecting the quality of institution you decided to attend does not create a tort on their part. You paid for a basically useless degree you could get sitting in your computer room relying on others to do some work and that is what you received.

I graduated from University of Phoenix (Baton Rouge, LA) campus in 2010. I have a bachelor of business degree. I have been unable to find work with the degree. I am now homeless with $60,000 of student loan debt. I have interviewed with employment agencies who prefer not to hire UOP graduates.

Thanks to University of Phoenix, I am homeless, in serious debt, with NO job leads. Please, how to I begin to sue University of Phoenix?

Thank You,
                              Shannah Smith,
                              [email protected]

Comment

I am sorry about your problems with UoP. I had my academic representative contact the, Office of Dispute Management when I had issues with UoP, these are my issues,
                                I had issues with one of the University instructors, she kept points from me saying I did not do the 6 required participation for the week, that I only did five. I showed her and my academic representative screen shots of the 6 participation but then was told that the University was allowing the instructor to keep the points from me. I also found out that I am scheduled for classes with out dated materials, but still paying the same fees as the students that are scheduled for the updated materials. I just started classes Dec. 2014.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                                Auto-Saved
                                Smile :) Stick Out Tongue :p Wink ;) Mad :mad: Big Grin :D Frown :( Embarrassment :o Confused :confused: Roll Eyes (Sarcastic) :rolleyes: Cool :cool: EEK! :eek:
                                x

the color of a blueberry is... (write the answer twice with an "@" between the words)

widgetinstance 213 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                                Working...
                                X