No announcement yet.

Do I have any legal recourse? The waitress harassed us about the bounced check.

  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Do I have any legal recourse? The waitress harassed us about the bounced check.

    My mom organized a baby shower for me at a local restaurant. Apparently the check she wrote was bad. The restaurant contacted me a couple of weeks later and told me this. I advised them I would let my mother know the check she wrote bounced. I contacted my mother, who advised me it was all taken care of. A few weeks later my boyfriend and I went into the restaurant for dinner (this was a place we regularly frequented). After ordering our food, the waitress recognized us and asked us if we had a baby shower recently there. We said yes. The waitress started harrassing us about the bounced check. I advised them that this was an issue between them and my mother as I was not a signer on her account, nor responsible for her financial matters. I apologized that she had bounced a check there. The waitress began harrassing us very loudly. We decided to cancel our order (we were ordering take out). The waitress would not refund our money, and stated she was keeping it as a deposit towards the money my mother owed them. We were outraged, my boyfriend contacted the local police who told them it was a civil matter and they wouldn't respond to the call. I filed w/ the Better Business Bureau because I don't feel that I should have been held financially responsible for a bad check my mother wrote, that I had no control or knowledge of. Their response was to send out a trespass notice to my mother siting my boyfriend and myself as well. I understand that my mother wrote a bad check and this is illegal, however I don't feel that MY money should've been taken. I wrote a letter demanding my money back and their response was to send the police to my mother's house and try to get her arrested.(I again, understand my mother is at fault). I am just curious if what they have done is at all legal as far as withholding my money??? (I live in Washington State)

    Thank you for any advice!

  • #2
    She normally cannot do that and should sue you or take legal action to collect if she needs to do so; you may file in small claims against her if you wish.


    Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
    Smile :) Stick Out Tongue :p Wink ;) Mad :mad: Big Grin :D Frown :( Embarrassment :o Confused :confused: Roll Eyes (Sarcastic) :rolleyes: Cool :cool: EEK! :eek:

    the color of snow is... (write the answer twice with an "@" between the words)

    widgetinstance 213 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.