The United States Arbitration Corporation (USAC)

USAC Banner 300x250

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

wrongfully accused of stealing from the establishment

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• wrongfully accused of stealing from the establishment

On Friday night, I was leaving a large retail chain store in my local area and a man approached my car. I rolled my window down to this man accusing me of stealing from the establishment. After realizing what was actually happening I went back inside and spoke to a Customer Service Manager, who simply apologized. I wasn't satisfied with that and so I went back yesterday afternoon and spoke to the Store Manager, who really didn't seem very apologetic at all, even though he said he was sorry. What can I do to really let them know that I am very upset that I was even approached in this manner and so that they realize how embarassed I was to even be thought of as a thief. This store and its employees need to know that they cannot just go around slinging these accusations. PLEASE HELP!

Unless you were damaged somehow there is normally not too much legally you can do. But you may write them and the district manager and stop shopping there as well.

Comment

How embarrassing? nobody really knew except you and him.

Comment

Walmart is pretty quick to make such accusations where I live in fact there should be class action over the over IMO.

Ann Marie

Comment

In most cases, being falsely accused of stealing or shoplifting falls under defamation, particularly slander, which is a type of spoken defamation. Technically speaking, defamation leads to the compensation of the person whose reputation was tainted or damaged. To win such personal case, the person, who is injured by false accusations, is required to prove that the statement is not true and is an “unprivileged communication.” To give you a clear picture, if you were slandered by the store manager who accused you of stealing or shoplifting, then you must prove that the latter was negligent in making such statements. This means the manager should have known the accusations he uttered were not true. This could be difficult if there is no video to support the claims.

Comment

And even more difficult if nobody really heard it or saw you in any public way, and so you weren't really damaged at all --

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
            Auto-Saved
            Smile :) Stick Out Tongue :p Wink ;) Mad :mad: Frown :( Big Grin :D Confused :confused: Embarrassment :o Roll Eyes (Sarcastic) :rolleyes: Cool :cool: EEK! :eek:
            x

Do cats say meow or mooo?... (write the answer twice with an "@" between the words)

widgetinstance 213 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
            Working...
            X