Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is an arbitration at the Better Business Bureau legally binding?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is an arbitration at the Better Business Bureau legally binding?

IL

The auto contract I have says that any disputes need to go to arbitration a the BBB.

Are they then like a court and judge, or how does that work? Do I need to hire a lawyer for that?

The auto contract I have says that any disputes need to go to arbitration a the BBB.
    Yes, it's binding. You signed a contract agreeing that it was binding. If you didn't read and understand the contract, oh well.

Are they then like a court and judge, or how does that work?
    The arbitrator serves the same function as a judge. He evaluates evidence and testimony and makes a decision.

Do I need to hire a lawyer for that?
    That's up to you. Depends on how much money you stand to lose and why you stand to lose it. If you owe the money you'll probably lose anyway.

What is happening that gives rise to the questions.

Comment

Once the arbitrator rules it can be enforced in court as a judgment yes. Though the winner still needs to go to court and file the arbitrator's judgment if the other side will not pay after the arbitrator rules.

Like any judgment, collection is not always easy if the other side has no assets or is a dead beat.

Comment

It's only binding if your contract that you agreed to says it is binding and and that contract needs to make it clear, not just a section buried in some small print you could never possibly read. (Just like in normal contract law.)
        Maggie

Comment

I sometimes think the arbitrators appointed by BBB are not that super smart. Just my observation. Some are okay.

The American Arbitration Association is quite a bit better in my humble opinion.

Comment

Originally posted by Guest View Post
            I sometimes think the arbitrators appointed by BBB are not that super smart. Just my observation. Some are okay.

The American Arbitration Association is quite a bit better in my humble opinion.
            I disagree, they do a very good job and at a decent price.
            And they are VERY neutral.

Comment

If you sign the contract, you agree to the terms!!

Comment

My contract with the auto dealer says that arbitration will be handled by the Better Business Bureau, but it has been difficult getting them to set it all up and move the matter along. I sometimes wonder if it’s always that challenging for any consumer.

Comment

What is your problem with the auto dealer all about?

Also, read your contract's arbitration clause. They sometimes allow for small claims court.

Comment

They are a little slow in my arbitration with an auto dealer. Dragging on for months.

Comment

They are a little slow in my arbitration with an auto dealer. Dragging on for months.
                      Are you TXN2?

If not, please start your own thread and post your details.

Comment

No I am not

I will repost

Comment

Unfortunately that is common complaint with the arbitration process at the BBB these days.
                          And frankly running an arbitration is not really their strength some would say.
                          They are somewhat new to the entire area, though of course it is related to their long history of helping to resolve consumer issues.

Comment

Seems to me like they might be at least slightly biased since the member business is paying them fees every year.
                            And the consumer will likely never see the BBB again.

jennee

Comment

Seems to me like they might be at least slightly biased since the member business is paying them fees every year.
                              And the consumer will likely never see the BBB again.

jennee
                              Not really, you could say the same about any sitting judge.

The appointed arbitrator will do his or her best to be neutral and decide what is legally correct.

The bigger problem with BBB arbitrations, at least as indicated in this forum, may be that this is not BBB's normal area of activity and some people complain it just does proceed all that smoothly and timely.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                              Auto-Saved
                              Smile :) Stick Out Tongue :p Wink ;) Mad :mad: Big Grin :D Frown :( Embarrassment :o Confused :confused: Roll Eyes (Sarcastic) :rolleyes: Cool :cool: EEK! :eek:
                              x
                              Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                              x

Do cats say meow or mooo?... (write the answer twice with an "@" between the words)