•  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• sandyclaus
    replied
    Re: Florida statute of limitations family law

I'm not sure about which SOL would apply, except potentially an SOL for a civil judgment. For judgments, that would be 20 years total and to be a lien on any real property, it has to be re-recorded for a second time at 10 years.

The limitations period begins from the date the last element of the cause of action occurred, (95.051). NOTE: The limitation period is tolled (stopped) for any period during which the debtor is absent from the state and each time a voluntary payment is made on a debt arising from a written instrument.

Almost all other actions fall under the 4-year catch-all limitations period, (F.S. 95.11(3)(p)).

More importantly, however, is if you do intend to challenge the contempt filing, is that you are able to prove you paid the $30k as identified in the divorce agreement. If the SOL has not yet expired, then you'll have to prove you paid in order to prevail - and if you can't, if you are claiming you already paid it, you'll have to pay it AGAIN.

So, do you have a copy of any/all receipts and/or proof that the full $30k was paid as you claim it was?

Leave a comment:

• sharilmurriello
    started a topic Florida statute of limitations family law

Florida statute of limitations family law

I live in Florida my husband and I have been divorced since Dec 2004 our divorce agreement signed by a judge stated that I had to pay my ex 30k for the equity in our home. I paid the 30k in 2004. Now in 2013 ex husband has filed a contempt of court claiming that I have not paid him the 30k. it is almost 10 years later. Is there a statute of limitations on when he can file a contempt for the 30k that he claims I did not pay. It has been paid and he signed a quick claim deed.
Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
Auto-Saved
Smile :) Stick Out Tongue :p Wink ;) Mad :mad: Big Grin :D Frown :( Embarrassment :o Confused :confused: Roll Eyes (Sarcastic) :rolleyes: Cool :cool: EEK! :eek:
x
Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
x

the color of milk is... (write the answer twice with an "@" between the words)

widgetinstance 213 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
Working...
X