X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Subpoena issued with just one days notice

Kentucky

Question about a subpoena and the defendant serving it at the last min, like for tomorrow!

Can they make me show up with just one day's notice?
    I can't arrange work and other issues in that time.

Re: Subpoena issued with just one days notice

Originally posted by Tappr View Post

Can they make me show up with just one day's notice?
    They can't MAKE you show up tomorrow but the court can certainly punish you with a contempt citation if you don't show up.

Originally posted by Tappr View Post

I can't arrange work and other issues in that time.
    Sure, you can. Just show your boss the subpoena TODAY and tell him you have no choice but to show up in court tomorrow and you'll be back to work as soon as you're done there.

Comment

Some states do require the notice be reasonable even if they don't explicitly say what is reasonable.

The problem is do you want to be arguing that point in a contempt of court hearing? Against you?

Comment

Yes, If your are represented by a lawyer you should notify it to the Court and can request to postpone the hearing date, if it is necessary to attend the court.

Comment

Originally posted by Lexus View Post
          Yes, If your are represented by a lawyer you should notify it to the Court and can request to postpone the hearing date, if it is necessary to attend the court.
          What does an attorney have to do with it?

"Notify it to the court"? Really?

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
          Auto-Saved
          Big Grin :D Frown :( Embarrassment :o Confused :confused: Smile :) Stick Out Tongue :p Wink ;) Mad :mad: Roll Eyes (Sarcastic) :rolleyes: Cool :cool: EEK! :eek:
          x
          Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
          x

the color of a pink dog is ... (write the answer twice with an "@" between the words)

widgetinstance 213 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
          Working...
          X