X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Taking a doctor to small claims

I live in Henderson, Nv.

I went to a new doctor to confirm pregnancy about two months ago and when I met with her the appointment was at most 10min long and she didn't get any info about family history, ethnicity, or previous pregnancy, etc. She then said she wanted to run my prenatal blood work (I have had a child before and this blood work includes stds, blood type, and hormone levels testing). Well without any authorization from me and without getting any family history or ethnicity information to determine a medical need for special test she ran a genetic test for cystic fibrosis for $1350.00. I received a bill about 4 weeks later from the lab that she ran the tests through and there was a charge for that test of $1350.00. I called the doctors office and the receptionist said that the doctor usually discusses that test with the patient before she actually runs it. I spoke with the doctor that afternoon at my appointment and told her she never discussed running a genetic test on me and she paused for a second then said that she felt it was necessary because my husband and I are white. I then told her that I didn't authorize any type of genetic testing and my insurance doesn't cover genetic testing and she responded with, "well that's unfortunate that your insurance doesn't cover it." Then she sent me on my way and again only spent maybe 5-10m at that appointment. Long story short I called the next day and left a message for the doctor to call me back and the billing/mangers department called me instead and they said that they would see what they could do and they never called back. When I called them back they said that there was nothing they could do and I could speak to the doctor about the issue. I left two messages for the doctor and have not heard back from her.

I want to know if I have a leg to stand on if I were to move forward to small claims? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Re: Taking a doctor to small claims

Originally posted by candersen25 View Post
    I live in Henderson, Nv.

I went to a new doctor to confirm pregnancy about two months ago and when I met with her the appointment was at most 10min long and she didn't get any info about family history, ethnicity, or previous pregnancy, etc. She then said she wanted to run my prenatal blood work (I have had a child before and this blood work includes stds, blood type, and hormone levels testing). Well without any authorization from me and without getting any family history or ethnicity information to determine a medical need for special test she ran a genetic test for cystic fibrosis for $1350.00. I received a bill about 4 weeks later from the lab that she ran the tests through and there was a charge for that test of $1350.00. I called the doctors office and the receptionist said that the doctor usually discusses that test with the patient before she actually runs it. I spoke with the doctor that afternoon at my appointment and told her she never discussed running a genetic test on me and she paused for a second then said that she felt it was necessary because my husband and I are white. I then told her that I didn't authorize any type of genetic testing and my insurance doesn't cover genetic testing and she responded with, "well that's unfortunate that your insurance doesn't cover it." Then she sent me on my way and again only spent maybe 5-10m at that appointment. Long story short I called the next day and left a message for the doctor to call me back and the billing/mangers department called me instead and they said that they would see what they could do and they never called back. When I called them back they said that there was nothing they could do and I could speak to the doctor about the issue. I left two messages for the doctor and have not heard back from her.

I want to know if I have a leg to stand on if I were to move forward to small claims? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.
    Have you actually paid for the test yet? If not, then you don't have anything to take to small claims at the moment. Small claims would be somewhere you could go to pursue reimbursement, not payment for the charge. There's nothing that can be done in this direction until you actually PAY for the test.

I would, instead, be disputing the charge and outright refusing to pay for it. Loudly. IN WRITING. Tell the billing department that, in no uncertain terms, you will not be paying for a test that you neither requested nor authorized. The doctor had no authorization to run the test without your permission. - especially given the fact that your insurance didn't cover the cost, and you would have been paying for it out of pocket.

I would also consider filing a complaint with the appropriate authorities about this illegal and unethical practice that this doctor has of ordering expensive tests without the permission of his patients. Here is the Nevada Medical Board complaint form you can fill out online and submit: http://www.medboard.nv.gov/Forms/Com...nteractive.pdf
    "If it ain't in writing, it never happened."
    "A lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on my part."
    "You can never make the same mistake twice, because the second time you make it, it's not a mistake, but a CHOICE."

Comment

I wish to inform you that you can first give a notice to doctor in writing that all his actions of testing were without your knowledge or consent and that you are not liable for its bill. If matter is not resolved after sending notice then a lawsuit in small claims court can be filed.

AFF

Comment

Thank you for the reply. If the office was absolutely refusing to do anything about it I was going to pay for it and take the docotr to small claims to afford a hit to my credit if I were to drag it out with the office. But I will send them a letter in writing explaining that I am refusing to pay for the test and the reason as to why. The nv medical board it good info too. Thanks again.

Comment

Time out. Who billed for the test? If the doctor did not, you have no leg to stand on.
          Due to a recent promotion, I should now be referred to as Major Obvious.

I would not be trying to provide information and knowledge if I did not sympathize.

Some days it is just not worth chewing through the restraints to face life.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
          Auto-Saved
          Smile :) Stick Out Tongue :p Wink ;) Mad :mad: Big Grin :D Frown :( Embarrassment :o Confused :confused: Roll Eyes (Sarcastic) :rolleyes: Cool :cool: EEK! :eek:
          x

the color of a blueberry is... (write the answer twice with an "@" between the words)

widgetinstance 213 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
          Working...
          X