X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Invasion of privacy by Pirvate Investigators

Hello all.

The story is rather long but I will just summarize the facts. Fact a private investigation company started investigating me some time back about 5.5 years ago. I live in a town home with my parents and my uncle and aunt own the home. How do I know that a Private Investigation company is investigating myself ? Well there any many pieces of evidence which I do not wish to disclose here. OK I while back I noticed that our phone and internet lines were being monitored but let it go. Now we have discovered hidden video cameras inside of our walls and ceilings. We have not found all of them but they are there. Now I cannot prove that they legally entered our premises and installed them but these cameras are fully operational. The Police will not do anything but file a report end of discussion. So I would like to know what civil right do I have to commence a civil suit against their company ? Does one need actual physical proof to show that they are the ones who installed them or is the law a little more relax ?

We are in Ontario Canada if it makes a difference I will post our city we live in.

Thanks

Re: Invasion of privacy by Pirvate Investigators

I wish to inform you that making a video recording in your house breaches your privacy and you can take action for breach of privacy. You may contact Office of the Privacy Commissioner of Canada and file a complaint. Further you can contact law enforcement agencies and take necessary action for violation of your rights.

AFF

Comment

As you have no proof who installed or monitors the cameras, you have no case.
      Due to a recent promotion, I should now be referred to as Major Obvious.

I would not be trying to provide information and knowledge if I did not sympathize.

Some days it is just not worth chewing through the restraints to face life.

Comment

Originally posted by Victor43 View Post
        Hello all.

The story is rather long but I will just summarize the facts. Fact a private investigation company started investigating me some time back about 5.5 years ago. I live in a town home with my parents and my uncle and aunt own the home. How do I know that a Private Investigation company is investigating myself ? Well there any many pieces of evidence which I do not wish to disclose here. OK I while back I noticed that our phone and internet lines were being monitored but let it go. Now we have discovered hidden video cameras inside of our walls and ceilings. We have not found all of them but they are there. Now I cannot prove that they legally entered our premises and installed them but these cameras are fully operational. The Police will not do anything but file a report end of discussion. So I would like to know what civil right do I have to commence a civil suit against their company ? Does one need actual physical proof to show that they are the ones who installed them or is the law a little more relax ?

We are in Ontario Canada if it makes a difference I will post our city we live in.

Thanks
        In order to sustain a suit for invasion of privacy the evidence will have to be gathered. This is the job of the police. They can identify the equipment, with serial numbers run down where it was purchased -- and by whom -- giving you evidence you need. If by sheer luck you can manage to find the individual who actually installed the equipment then you are home free.

The law is the law and evidence rules and proofs are needed to convict in a criminal case and find for the plaintiff in a civil. Without cooperation from law enforcement, you have an uphill route.

Comment

Originally posted by Disagreeable View Post
          As you have no proof who installed or monitors the cameras, you have no case.
          Well I understand your point we do not have any proof about who installed the cameras. What I failed to describe and mention earlier in my original post that we do know the name of the individual who is working for them and the one who is monitoring the video cameras. That person happens to be our very own next door neighbor.

OK another question I would like to ask As for the video cameras go since we have found them can do whatever I wish with them or no ? When I say whatever I mean exactly that anything like perhaps have them analyzed or anything else...They become our property do they not ?

Thanks for your followup. Just for good measures I am asking a lawyer to determine what can be done in court.

Victor

Comment

Originally posted by Friend In Court View Post
            In order to sustain a suit for invasion of privacy the evidence will have to be gathered. This is the job of the police. They can identify the equipment, with serial numbers run down where it was purchased -- and by whom -- giving you evidence you need. If by sheer luck you can manage to find the individual who actually installed the equipment then you are home free.

The law is the law and evidence rules and proofs are needed to convict in a criminal case and find for the plaintiff in a civil. Without cooperation from law enforcement, you have an uphill route.
            Thanks for the reply. You say serial numbers correct ? What if the cameras do not have serial numbers (I have to find out) ? Do all types of hidden video pinhole cameras have serial numbers ? Is that the only way that they can be allowed entry to Canada or USA ? I have to check with Industry Canada on this also. Also even if they do have serial numbers where does one search the serial numbers online to find out which company made the camera ?

Thanking you

Victor

Comment

Originally posted by Victor43 View Post
              Thanks for the reply. You say serial numbers correct ? What if the cameras do not have serial numbers (I have to find out) ? Do all types of hidden video pinhole cameras have serial numbers ? Is that the only way that they can be allowed entry to Canada or USA ? I have to check with Industry Canada on this also. Also even if they do have serial numbers where does one search the serial numbers online to find out which company made the camera ?

Thanking you

Victor
              Good questions, but without knowing the make/model no one can tell where serial numbers might be. There are sneaky, peepy spy shops and plenty of them online you can search to find those who appear to match the ones installed in your premises and go from there.

Since you know who is monitoring, if you can prove it, this would be the perp invading your privacy. He may choose to identify who put him up to it but he is the one spying on you.

A visit to a spy shop can provide a good education in surveillance equipment -- and maybe some ideas on how to set up the perp to get caught.

Comment

Originally posted by Friend In Court View Post
                Good questions, but without knowing the make/model no one can tell where serial numbers might be. There are sneaky, peepy spy shops and plenty of them online you can search to find those who appear to match the ones installed in your premises and go from there.

Since you know who is monitoring, if you can prove it, this would be the perp invading your privacy. He may choose to identify who put him up to it but he is the one spying on you.

A visit to a spy shop can provide a good education in surveillance equipment -- and maybe some ideas on how to set up the perp to get caught.
                Thanks very much. I am not so certain that all video cameras pinhole or spy have to have serial numbers. This is something that the Police or the correct government department have to answer but I will find out. In the case that these cameras don't have to have serials then I get your other point.

Thanks again

Victor

Comment

Originally posted by AFFA View Post
                  I wish to inform you that making a video recording in your house breaches your privacy and you can take action for breach of privacy. You may contact Office of the Privacy Commissioner of Canada and file a complaint. Further you can contact law enforcement agencies and take necessary action for violation of your rights.

AFF
                  Thanks for the reply points well taken. Victor.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                  Auto-Saved
                  Smile :) Stick Out Tongue :p Wink ;) Mad :mad: Frown :( Big Grin :D Confused :confused: Embarrassment :o Roll Eyes (Sarcastic) :rolleyes: Cool :cool: EEK! :eek:
                  x

the color of milk is... (write the answer twice with an "@" between the words)

widgetinstance 213 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                  Working...
                  X