Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CAR WARNING INDICATOR COVERED UP

I bought a car, which began having multiple problems 2 months after purchase. I called the Used Car Lot, and they told me I could use their mechanic, and get their "special" discount. I made an appt for the check up, and told the mechanic it looked as though there was black tape and paint on the dial panel hiding a light. He pretended to be surprised, but never even looked at it. I believe there is tape on that dial, and am wondering, if so, would I have any type of fraud case against the car lot?

Re: CAR WARNING INDICATOR COVERED UP

In CA, possibly. Do you have any actual proof they covered it up? Had you taken the vehicle to be inspected by a mechanic prior to buying it? Did you receive a warranty? I have done the same thing to older vehicles, where the light was on for a stupid malfunction. You should learn to look for indicator lights upon startup. What state are you in?
    Due to a recent promotion, I should now be referred to as Major Obvious.

I would not be trying to provide information and knowledge if I did not sympathize.

Some days it is just not worth chewing through the restraints to face life.

Comment

Originally posted by sassypants View Post
      I bought a car, which began having multiple problems 2 months after purchase. I called the Used Car Lot, and they told me I could use their mechanic, and get their "special" discount. I made an appt for the check up, and told the mechanic it looked as though there was black tape and paint on the dial panel hiding a light. He pretended to be surprised, but never even looked at it. I believe there is tape on that dial, and am wondering, if so, would I have any type of fraud case against the car lot?
      In which state are you located?

Was the vehicle sold with any kind of written warranty,or was this an "AS IS" sale? (If there was no warranty with the sale, then it will automatically be an "AS IS" sale.)

Did you have the vehicle inspected by your own private mechanic before you completed the sale?

Understand that in an "AS IS" sale, it means just that - that you made the purchase of the vehicle just as you find it, with all of the bells and whistles you found, along with all of the problems you didn't. For this reason, it is ALWAYS recommended that you have your own private mechanic perform a thorough inspection prior to committing to the sale. Had you done so, the mechanic would very likely have found the black tape and paint obscuring the light on the panel, and you would have known NOT to buy the car - or at least to negotiate a price that would include the cost of repairing whatever was wrong with it.

Yes, it does sound like the seller may have defrauded you. However, since you have had the car for two months, they can also just as easily claim that YOU put the tape and paint on there. Since you have no proof of their deception, then you would likely lose any claim you make against them on that basis alone.

You might have to accept that you will spend your own money on the repairs for your car. I would also avoid having any mechanic directly associated with the dealer from having ANYTHING to do with the car, since its entirely likely that they hid the issues before you bought it, and have no interest in fixing it to the point where you wouldn't have to come back to have it fixed again.
      "If it ain't in writing, it never happened."
      "A lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on my part."
      "You can never make the same mistake twice, because the second time you make it, it's not a mistake, but a CHOICE."

Comment

Is there actually anything wrong with the car (aside from the light)? Which light is covered up?

Comment

Yes, there is an oil leak, but they aren't exactly sure where it is coming from, so can't guarantee the repair they propose. Thanks for your time. I'll take everyone's advice and see another mechanic for the repairs.

Comment

Originally posted by sassypants View Post
            Yes, there is an oil leak, but they aren't exactly sure where it is coming from, so can't guarantee the repair they propose. Thanks for your time. I'll take everyone's advice and see another mechanic for the repairs.
            That's a good idea, considering that the original mechanic was associated with the dealership, and so their loyalty is to the dealer and not to you.

I hope that you also understood that the the dealership won't be responsible for the cost of the repairs.
            "If it ain't in writing, it never happened."
            "A lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on my part."
            "You can never make the same mistake twice, because the second time you make it, it's not a mistake, but a CHOICE."

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
            Auto-Saved
            Stick Out Tongue :p Smile :) Mad :mad: Wink ;) Frown :( Big Grin :D Confused :confused: Embarrassment :o Roll Eyes (Sarcastic) :rolleyes: Cool :cool: EEK! :eek:
            x

the color of a banana is... (write the answer twice with an "@" between the words)

widgetinstance 213 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
            Working...
            X