Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Can I go to jail for being behind 900 dollars on child support (2 months).

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can I go to jail for being behind 900 dollars on child support (2 months).

New Mexico

Can I go to jail for being behind 900 dollars on child support (2 months).

My ex wife says she "filed to have me arrested next week". Is that a bunch of bs or might it be true.

Well, the process involves her asking the court to find you in contempt of court for not paying the court ordered child support. If the judge finds you in contempt he will likely give you an opportunity to cure the contempt by paying your arrears. Then, if you disobey the order, he could order you arrested and your bail would be, guess what, $900 plus court costs. The $900 will go to your ex and cure the contempt.

The answer is, yes, it could happen that you end up in jail for it.

Comment

She is BS'ing you.

It takes some time to go through all of that it isn't going to happen for 2 missed payments.
      She can file all she wants.

Comment

I am 8 months behind and that havent come after me yet.

Comment

Originally posted by Guest View Post
          I am 8 months behind and that havent come after me yet.
          Proud of that, are you?

Comment

yup!
            she deserves nothing and my son gets a lot when he's with me

Comment

You are pushing your luck being 8 mos behind, if she files or a state prosecutor (or federal if say 10,000 or more) picks it up you will arrested before you know it.
              They don't play around with that support any more these days, especially if they know you indeed can pay. I know from family experience as well.

Comment

My good friend was picked up at tyhe airport when he was flying back form Barbados. He owed 35,000 in back support,

And spent 3 nights locked up before even had a hearing.

Comment

Frankly the child support laws have become TOO harsh it seems to me.

It's like Nazi Germany with some of those people.

Comment

Thanks VERY much, it really helps to get real people commenting and suggesting.

Comment

Frankly the child support laws have become TOO harsh it seems to me.

It's like Nazi Germany with some of those people.
                      How are they harsh. Pay the child support as ordered and there is no issue. Hell, pay when the court finds you in contempt and you still won't go to jail.

You obviously know very little about NAZI Germany.

Comment

Taking peoples passports, jail sentences, suspension and drivers license is, all of these things seem excessive to me.

Comment

Taking peoples passports, jail sentences, suspension and drivers license is, all of these things seem excessive to me.
                          So is not making sure your children are fed.

A parent that has a child living with them would go to jail for not caring for the child.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                          Auto-Saved
                          Wink ;) Mad :mad: Frown :( Big Grin :D Confused :confused: Embarrassment :o Smile :) Stick Out Tongue :p Roll Eyes (Sarcastic) :rolleyes: Cool :cool: EEK! :eek:
                          x
                          Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                          x

Do cats say meow or mooo?... (write the answer twice with an "@" between the words)