Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Mechanic threatening lien (holding our vehicle for unauthorized charges)

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mechanic threatening lien (holding our vehicle for unauthorized charges)

My husband and I took our 1992 Toyota 4-Runner to a local mechanic to have an engine rebuild on April 22, 2009. We have been very patient and have been promised many dates of completion, which have always gone by with an excuse of why the truck in not finished (on vacation, mom died, son in hospital, etc). Finally, the first week of January (after having the truck for 8 1/2 months) we are finally told that they have figured out "what the problem is". We are told there was too much stop leak in the system and they can not complete the engine job until this problem is fixed. The mechanic tells us what other repairs are needed to complete this job. My husband and I discuss it and decide we no longer want to put anymore money into this vehicle. We tell the mechanic that our decision is to not do anymore work on this vehicle. We will tow in home with the OLD engine and he can keep the $1800 that was the deposit for the first half of the engine rebuild. They agreed to this and said it would take them a few days to get all the parts put back and the old engine in the back of the truck to be towed. They said they will call next week (which is this week of Feb 8th) and tell us when we can pick up our vehicle. My husband called and left a message on Feb 8th to find out the status of our vehicle. The mechanic called back and left a message stating that they "changed their mind" and are now going to keep our vehicle and complete the repairs whether we wanted them to or not and they were going to place a "mechanics lien" on the vehicle and if we didn't pay him he stated "I'll be driving around in a nice 4 runner". We have never signed an estimate for any additional work nor have we given permission to do any extra repairs. The mechanic told us that he "could not complete this job without fixing the stop leak issue", which would incur extra charges that we have not authorized. We were never given any estimate paperwork except for the original estimate to rebuild the engine. Now that it is going to cost more, we no longer wish to continue with the rebuild. The mechanic refuses to give us our vehicle back and is holding our vehicle for unauthorized charges.
    We have already told them that we would like to just get our 4 runner back with the old engine and they can keep the $1800. But they refuse this offer.
    Also this guy has 87 cases listed in Court View for Alaska. 90% of them are traffic violations, DUI, etc. a handful are small claims, domestic violence and stalking for threats he made to people (some of which were customers who were not happy). Any advice?

re: Mechanic threatening lien (holding our vehicle for unauthorized charges)

Originally posted by Akmax View Post
    My husband and I took our 1992 Toyota 4-Runner to a local mechanic to have an engine rebuild on April 22, 2009. We have been very patient and have been promised many dates of completion, which have always gone by with an excuse of why the truck in not finished (on vacation, mom died, son in hospital, etc). Finally, the first week of January (after having the truck for 8 1/2 months) we are finally told that they have figured out "what the problem is". We are told there was too much stop leak in the system and they can not complete the engine job until this problem is fixed. The mechanic tells us what other repairs are needed to complete this job. My husband and I discuss it and decide we no longer want to put anymore money into this vehicle. We tell the mechanic that our decision is to not do anymore work on this vehicle. We will tow in home with the OLD engine and he can keep the $1800 that was the deposit for the first half of the engine rebuild. They agreed to this and said it would take them a few days to get all the parts put back and the old engine in the back of the truck to be towed. They said they will call next week (which is this week of Feb 8th) and tell us when we can pick up our vehicle. My husband called and left a message on Feb 8th to find out the status of our vehicle. The mechanic called back and left a message stating that they "changed their mind" and are now going to keep our vehicle and complete the repairs whether we wanted them to or not and they were going to place a "mechanics lien" on the vehicle and if we didn't pay him he stated "I'll be driving around in a nice 4 runner". We have never signed an estimate for any additional work nor have we given permission to do any extra repairs. The mechanic told us that he "could not complete this job without fixing the stop leak issue", which would incur extra charges that we have not authorized. We were never given any estimate paperwork except for the original estimate to rebuild the engine. Now that it is going to cost more, we no longer wish to continue with the rebuild. The mechanic refuses to give us our vehicle back and is holding our vehicle for unauthorized charges.
    We have already told them that we would like to just get our 4 runner back with the old engine and they can keep the $1800. But they refuse this offer.
    Also this guy has 87 cases listed in Court View for Alaska. 90% of them are traffic violations, DUI, etc. a handful are small claims, domestic violence and stalking for threats he made to people (some of which were customers who were not happy). Any advice?
    Hit him in the head with a monkey wrench and knock some sense into this bonehead! Seriously! Just file a small claims case. You didn't authorize the extra repairs. Send him a certified letter R.R.R. asking for return of the vehicle, and what you said above that you want, and if he doesn't respond within a certain number of days you will file a S.C. case against him.

Is it a 4 or 6 cylinder? You probably can get a reman for under $1800.00.

Comment

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
      He had the vehicle for 8 1/2 months before he figured out what was wrong with it? I would definitely hit him in the head with a monkey wrench and knock some sense into this bonehead! Seriously!
      Why did you let him have the vehicle for so long?
      Just file a small claims case. You didn't authorize the extra repairs. Send him a certified letter R.R.R. asking for return of the vehicle, and what you said above that you want, and if he doesn't respond within a certain number of days you will file a S.C. case against him.

Is it a 4 or 6 cylinder? You probably can get a reman motor for under $1800.00.
      Edited.

Comment

No you cannot do a lien

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
        Auto-Saved
        Smile :) Stick Out Tongue :p Wink ;) Mad :mad: Big Grin :D Frown :( Embarrassment :o Confused :confused: Roll Eyes (Sarcastic) :rolleyes: Cool :cool: EEK! :eek:
        x
        Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
        x

the color of a pink dog is ... (write the answer twice with an "@" between the words)

widgetinstance 213 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
        Working...
        X