Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Taking the stand as prose?

Just looking for opinions here on the following.
    You are a pro se Plaintiff, representing yourself in a civil suit, not small claims court, but county, or circuit court.

1. Would you take the stand if the opposing party/atty. calls you as a witness?
    2. If so why?
    3. If not, why not?
    4. If you do take the stand and the opposing party/atty. asks you a question that you feel is objectionable, how do you or can you object from the stand?
    5. Taking the 5th only apply in criminal?, or does it also apply to civil?

Thanks.

Re: Taking the stand as prose?

You can if they call you yes. You can simply object yourself if you have an objection.

You have to answer unless the answer will incriminate you. It applies alike to civil and criminal proceedings, wherever the answer might tend to subject to criminal responsibility he who gives it."

Comment

Sure why not

Comment

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
        Just looking for opinions here on the following.
        You are a pro se Plaintiff, representing yourself in a civil suit, not small claims court, but county, or circuit court.

1. Would you take the stand if the opposing party/atty. calls you as a witness?
        2. If so why?
        3. If not, why not?
        4. If you do take the stand and the opposing party/atty. asks you a question that you feel is objectionable, how do you or can you object from the stand?
        5. Taking the 5th only apply in criminal?, or does it also apply to civil?

Thanks.
        You would have to take the stand if called as a witness by the opposing party.

If you need to raise an objection, you would do so while on the stand.

Taking the 5th (the right to avoid self-incrimination) applies in both criminal and civil cases. It is used if, by answering the question, you would otherwise admit to some kind of criminal activity.
        "If it ain't in writing, it never happened."
        "A lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on my part."
        "You can never make the same mistake twice, because the second time you make it, it's not a mistake, but a CHOICE."

Comment

I took the fifth in my civil divorce case last year.

The judge seemed to try to stop it at first bu then agreed.

Comment

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
            I took the fifth in my civil divorce case last year.

The judge seemed to try to stop it at first bu then agreed.
            Where you pro se? Or represented by a atty.?
            Did the other side have a atty.? Elaborate a bit?

Comment

if you want to take the stand you can but you should seek legal counsil first

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
              Auto-Saved
              Smile :) Stick Out Tongue :p Wink ;) Mad :mad: Big Grin :D Frown :( Embarrassment :o Confused :confused: Roll Eyes (Sarcastic) :rolleyes: Cool :cool: EEK! :eek:
              x
              Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
              x

the color of a banana is... (write the answer twice with an "@" between the words)

widgetinstance 213 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
              Working...
              X