Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Certified mail... If I do not sign for it from an attorney

If I do not sign for it from an attorney what are the outcomes?

re: Certified mail... If I do not sign for it from an attorney

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
    Shows you are evading the letter.

Comment

You do not need to sign!!

They have to serve you personally.

Comment

Bad advice, this forum is to help people not to give them bad advice. Speak with a lawyer they will give it to you straight.

Comment

You absolutely are not required to sign.

To suggest otherwise shows ignorance of the law. Ask any reputable lawyer.

Comment

You are correct, there is no requirement or penalty to sign a certified letter. But it makes you appear evasive if you go to court if you fail to sign for and pick it up.

No offense, but we don't even know what kind of paper is in the certified letter?...so kind of premature to suggest that "they have to serve you personally". If the certified letter was from a attorney, one would hope to think the certified letter did not contain a pleading, which would have to be served personally.

Comment

You mean they have to hire/pay a process server or deputy to personally serve a letter?

Comment

form an attorney

Comment

you simply don't have to sign--bottom line

If an attorney says otherwise he aint worth his salt--check his record

Comment

I see and like I said try it when your next jury summons come and see if the sherriff isnt knocking on your door.

Comment

I see and like I said try it when your next jury summons come and see if the sherriff isnt knocking on your door.
                      Don't the courts send jury summons by regular mail?

Comment

I think not signing for mail is like an admission of guilt.

Comment

Re: Certified mail... If I do not sign for it from an attorney

Not sure what the last post meant exactly, but a person is under no obligation to sign for a certified letter, regardless of who it is from. There is no law currently in existence that requires a recipient of a certified letter to sign for it. After three attempts, the mail is returned, unsigned for.

No certified mail would contain any type of court documents anyway, as they must be served by a Sheriff.

Not signing for mail is not an "admission of guilt" and please, let's not insert our own personal opinion. Everyone is entitled to due process under the law and everyone is presumed innocent until proven otherwise.

Not signing for certified mail is not a crime, and the person who refuses to sign may have their own reasons for not doing so. It's irresponsible to guess, or assume why people choose not to sign for the mail they receive certified.

Attorneys do not send pleadings via certified mail. They must file pleadings with the courts. Copies are mailed to both plaintiffs and defendants, but if both have their own attorney, the copy would be mailed to them (the attorneys).

Comment

Don't the courts send jury summons by regular mail?
                            Ours do. I am in Arizona.

Just regular mail.

But just to clarify, the poster here was asking about a letter from an attorney.
                            Clearly that does not need to be signed for and accepted. Nor does any registered mail I agree. You may miss something important for you--or not--but you are not required to sign.

Comment

Not sure what the last post meant exactly, but a person is under no obligation to sign for a certified letter, regardless of who it is from. There is no law currently in existence that requires a recipient of a certified letter to sign for it. After three attempts, the mail is returned, unsigned for.

No certified mail would contain any type of court documents anyway, as they must be served by a Sheriff.

Not signing for mail is not an "admission of guilt" and please, let's not insert our own personal opinion. Everyone is entitled to due process under the law and everyone is presumed innocent until proven otherwise.

Not signing for certified mail is not a crime, and the person who refuses to sign may have their own reasons for not doing so. It's irresponsible to guess, or assume why people choose not to sign for the mail they receive certified.

Attorneys do not send pleadings via certified mail. They must file pleadings with the courts. Copies are mailed to both plaintiffs and defendants, but if both have their own attorney, the copy would be mailed to them (the attorneys).

Good answer!

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                              Auto-Saved
                              Big Grin :D Frown :( Embarrassment :o Confused :confused: Smile :) Stick Out Tongue :p Wink ;) Mad :mad: Roll Eyes (Sarcastic) :rolleyes: Cool :cool: EEK! :eek:
                              x
                              Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                              x

the color of a banana is... (write the answer twice with an "@" between the words)

widgetinstance 213 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                              Working...
                              X