Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• FCC regulations regarding closed caption decoding

I have recently purchased a Terry Trailer (2007) which included a Jensen LCD TV (model JE2043) made by ASA Electronics. This product, in my opinion, does not meet all the FCC regulations regarding closed caption decoding . I have hearing problems and require closed captions for viewing television. The Jensen TV provides 3 viewing formats or modes of viewing. These are:

Mode 1. TV
    Mode 2. Alternate Video 1 (AV1)
    Mode 3. Alternate Video 2 (AV2)

Closed Caption decoding is provided by the Jensen TV in the TV mode only. In my opinion it should also provide Closed Caption decoding in AV1 and AV2. The Alternate Videos allow for a much sharper image and therefore most users will have their satellite TV signal channeled to AV1 or AV2 via a Svideo cable. Also, many DVDs (viewed mostly on AV1 or AV2) do not include subtitles but rely instead on Closed Caption Decoding by the user\'s TV. Since the Jensen TV does not decode Closed Captioning on AV1 or AV2 it becomes extremely difficult for the hearing impaired to watch DVDs on a Jensen TV.

I have contacted ASA Electronics and was told that the Jensen TV does not decode the Closed Caption in AV 1 or AV 2 but does decode the closed caption in the TV mode. After a lengthy exchange of emails and phone calls the tech support people at ASA Electronics (Brian 1 800 688 3135 extension 528) informed me that there are no televisions that provide closed caption decoding in AV1 or AV2. This is totally absurd since I had been watching satellite TV (Direct TV) on AV 1 with Closed Captioning on an Emerson TV -- When confronted with this, the tech support at ASA Electronics claimed that it was the satellite TV receiver which was decoding the Closed Caption and not my Emerson TV. This was simply not true since my satellite receiver had no capabilities for doing anything with decoding Closed Captions. When confronted with the issue of my receiver not having this ability, I was told that I should contact the service provider (Direct TV). I did this and was told that Direct TV never had any type of receiver with Closed Caption Decoding. Again I confronted ASA Electronics Tech support and was told by Brian that the support personnel at Direct TV were wrong. For your own information you can check this with Direct TV by calling 1 800 531 5000 and then press 0 for tech support. They will tell you that there is no such Direct TV receiver that decodes the Closed Caption Signal.

I believe that ASA Electronics should provide me with an external method for viewing Closed Caption on their TV set in AV1 or AV2 mode. I have made this request to them, but they refuse.

Re: FCC regulations regarding closed caption decoding

Please email World Law Direct at [email protected] (or use the private "Ask An Attorney" web question form on the home page), and briefly list the subject. WLD lawyers will help outline a strategy for you to deal with this. The post you made is on file with WLD staff.

www.worldlaw.eu

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
    Auto-Saved
    Smile :) Stick Out Tongue :p Wink ;) Mad :mad: Big Grin :D Frown :( Embarrassment :o Confused :confused: Roll Eyes (Sarcastic) :rolleyes: Cool :cool: EEK! :eek:
    x

the color of snow is... (write the answer twice with an "@" between the words)

widgetinstance 213 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
    Working...
    X