Proper use of "Esq."

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I seem to see that in the US it is accepted, is that right?

Comment

It is widely used in the US and no big deal frankly. I am frankly a little surprised by all the criticism here.

Comment

Still seems a little pretentious to me. Like some knight from the middle ages.

Comment

Originally posted by CharlesFarliegh View Post
          Re: Proper use of "Esq."

Just so we are all clear on what you are saying, Mr. Unregistered (read-I am ashamed and/or afraid to post my real name). We here in America use "Esq." to indicate we are attorneys who have earned a J.D., passed the bar and prepared for public service in the same way that those who have earned their M.D. and have passed their exams and are prepared to serve the public use "Dr." We attach no sense of "nobility" or "entitlement" to the use. And you call US pompous and self-serving when your use of the term denotes some pathetic attempt to hold on to long-dead centuries old traditions handed down to you by a monarch AND your use of the word has the truly pompous and self-serving use of some elitist title? That has to be the most ridiculously obtuse comment I have read today. I actually laughed out loud. Thank you for that. For your own personal edification (since you appear to be unaware) when we shrugged off the cruel, selfish, totalitarian rule of a monarchy in order to try this little experiment now called the U.S.A. we not only shrugged off your pompous, divisive, self-serving, elitist system of titles and nobility, but we also shrugged off people like you. And we continue to do so today. How pathetic your tiny soul must be (assuming there is some last dot of it left). I hope you are one day able to rise above your elitist upbringing and step into the age of enlightenment. Bonne chance.
          It seems to me we added a bunch of new titles.
          And just recreated the old English system. With a little less obvious snobbery.

Comment

But I see many organizations using it?

I just got AAA notice and all the lawyers were tiled as esq...

Comment

Yes that is because it IS widely used by lawyers in the US despite what a few others have said here.

Comment

Pompous IMHO

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                Auto-Saved
                Frown :( Big Grin :D Confused :confused: Embarrassment :o Smile :) Stick Out Tongue :p Wink ;) Mad :mad: Roll Eyes (Sarcastic) :rolleyes: Cool :cool: EEK! :eek:
                x
                Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                x

the color of a banana is... (write the answer twice with an "@" between the words)

widgetinstance 213 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                Working...
                X