Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: What constitutes dog ownership?

If you signed the paperwork to transfer the ownership, you should have read what the front said. If you have a contract and emails then you may have better luck.

Comment

I recently adopted two young dogs from the local shelter. The shelter said these were two stray dogs that were found together so they wanted an owner who would adopt both of them into a home. I did and after day 1 I was in love with these two. I've had them now for three weeks and I think of them as my children. We spend all day together, except for the four hours I am away at work (I'm a student doing part time work in the summer).

Now I was afraid when I first got them that because they were stray dogs "found" that someone may be looking for them. So I searched craigslist in my town and looked around my neighborhood for any lost dog fliers, there were none. The shelter also told me that they hold the dogs for about nine days to see if anyone calls with a description of their lost dog, before making them available for adoption.

Then a few days ago, a man was driving his car as I was walking them in the afternoon, claiming that they were his dogs. I told him I rescued them from the shelter but he did not believe me and demanded that I give them back. I asked him why he didn't post any lost dog signs or make an effort to find them and he just said "why should I do that?" I also asked him for proof that these dogs were his and he said he doesn't register his dogs and he also has never taken any photos of them.

Since I got my dogs from the shelter, they are microchipped in my name and I have the dog licenses to prove they are mine. I'm just concerned because this man now knows where I live. The other day I was at work and my cousin was dog-sitting for me and said an unknown car parked outside of my house and quietly opened the gate to snoop around. She felt it was suspicious so she took the dogs into my house and locked everything. I'm afraid one day I won't be able to ask anyone to look after my dogs and they will be stolen. How can I prevent this from happening?

Comment

Try moving.
        Due to a recent promotion, I should now be referred to as Major Obvious.

I would not be trying to provide information and knowledge if I did not sympathize.

Some days it is just not worth chewing through the restraints to face life.

Comment

Originally posted by underestimated26 View Post
          okay....i have been taking care of my brother-in-laws dog onyx for the past week, the owner went to jail for aggrevated assault on myself and his brother. the other day i was walking the dog and the poor dog started vomiting blood. i then took the dog immediatly to the vet got him a wellness plan and come to find out, the dog has never been seen by a vet other than getting spayed.

he has never had any shots, has roundworms, is infested with fleas, along with a severe case of heartworms. the vet states in the paperwork that the dog is ill and needs improvement.

i have set up all the treatments necessary to keep this dog alive unlike his owner who has been feeding him out of a rusted bucket and having the dog pull him on a skateboard while knowing the dog is sick. my question is, i know this is neglect, so how can i get this dog out of his custody and into mine? i have all the documentation for bringing the dog to the vet and getting all his shots including rabbies which is in my name aswell, and they list me as the owner on all the paper work.and he does not have anything to even say he ever brought the dog to the vet. i have spent $500.00 with food vets bills and insurance including all the dogs treatments, and still have to bring him back next month for his final meds for the heartworms and that will bring me upto $700.00.

i am also going to the county to register the dog in my name, what else do i have to do?
          Bless you. It's so nice to hear you immediately took on care of dog, paid almost a grand in one week for a dog that wasn't even yours, and have taken so many precautions to make sure pup stays in your own care so she can be happy and healthy for forever. Especially since it was the brother-in-laws dog and he assaulted you and your husband (or other brother in law, couldn't tell if you were a the brothers wife or sisters husband). It's just nice to hear there are truly good people in the world. Anyway, switch the chip to your name; this will be easy since he is in jail; therefore he will not be able to challenge the change in ownership. You can contact someone about the previous neglect if you want, but all you really need is the vet records making it clear the dog was neglected before entering your care, and immediately given proper care on your dime when entering your care. If he HAD taken good care of the dog, it might be a different story, but this is absolutely clearly not the case. DO make sure to change the microchip details, however, because in civil cases the dog is sometimes put in the custody of whoever's name is on the chip until such time as the matter can reach the courts.

Comment

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
            I recently adopted two young dogs from the local shelter. The shelter said these were two stray dogs that were found together so they wanted an owner who would adopt both of them into a home. I did and after day 1 I was in love with these two. I've had them now for three weeks and I think of them as my children. We spend all day together, except for the four hours I am away at work (I'm a student doing part time work in the summer).

Now I was afraid when I first got them that because they were stray dogs "found" that someone may be looking for them. So I searched craigslist in my town and looked around my neighborhood for any lost dog fliers, there were none. The shelter also told me that they hold the dogs for about nine days to see if anyone calls with a description of their lost dog, before making them available for adoption.

Then a few days ago, a man was driving his car as I was walking them in the afternoon, claiming that they were his dogs. I told him I rescued them from the shelter but he did not believe me and demanded that I give them back. I asked him why he didn't post any lost dog signs or make an effort to find them and he just said "why should I do that?" I also asked him for proof that these dogs were his and he said he doesn't register his dogs and he also has never taken any photos of them.

Since I got my dogs from the shelter, they are microchipped in my name and I have the dog licenses to prove they are mine. I'm just concerned because this man now knows where I live. The other day I was at work and my cousin was dog-sitting for me and said an unknown car parked outside of my house and quietly opened the gate to snoop around. She felt it was suspicious so she took the dogs into my house and locked everything. I'm afraid one day I won't be able to ask anyone to look after my dogs and they will be stolen. How can I prevent this from happening?
            WOAH, this guy is messed up. EVERY dog owner knows, if you loose an animal, you better check every shelter nearby AT LEAST every 3 days, because legally, after that, if you don't come forward, you forfeit ownership of the dog. THOSE PUPS ARE YOURS. Call the police immediately if this man ever comes near you or yours again. You need to make sure someone has his information as well, so make it clear to the police he is harassing you: they'll take down his information. I'm actually wondering if he ever did have possession of the pups since he doesn't even have a photo. If he ever bothers you again, it should be easy to get a restraining order. Also, opening your gate to snoop around, that is trespassing, and illegal, and he was there to steal the puppies. Report that to the police immediately. Don't leave the dogs outside unattended for a while. until all this is settles. What a lowlife piece of s*** that horrible man is. He may however, be slightly crazy and think you stole the dogs, in which case, talking to him briefly next time he comes around may help. Get the shelter on the phone, ask them to confirm to this man that you adopted the two dogs, and bring the phone out to him next time he comes around. Tell him to deal with the shelter about it, they were the ones that transferred ownership of the dog. They know how to deal with these people. If it doesn't help, immediately go in and call 911 again and explain the situation, and that you feel he will steal the dogs, and won't stop harassing you and making you feel unsafe. And you will have already called them once to report the trespassing, so they will take it pretty seriously. Good luck, and remember, these dogs are YOURS in ever single sense. This man is breaking the law over and over. The law is your friend.

Comment

A teacher, or the prison, more and more ares are considering the legal use of phone jammers, it has been a necessity of our daily life, I have got one phone jammer for my family. so if you want to get one, you can go and visit it for more details. share with you!

Comment

I am glad I am not the only one going through a dog ownership situation. However mine is a bit different. I have to appear in court to defend the ownership of my 16lbs Sheltie from my Ex-girlfriend and her 14yr old son. My dog was purchased as a gift for Christmas in 2008 for my Ex's brother. So we took him as a puppy three weeks before Christmas and cared for, potty trained, and loved him, and got seriously attached to him until Christmas Eve. Her brother took one look at the dog and for personal reasons denied the gift. I was so upset that we had to give him up as it was. She called me and said her brother didn't want him and asked if we could keep him, and Of course I was ecstatic and said YESSSS. So her Mom defaulted the gift to her grand son (my ex's son) as a gift. We broke up in March of 2010 and the pet was left with me. My ex and I managed to stay friends and she would dog sit when I had to go out of town and would even come and take him for a weekend sometimes longer here or there. After 3 years and 9 months of having ownership and taking care of every expense for the dog including Vet visits, Grooming appts, eye care, and food. She demanded me to start letting them have him for Two weeks at a time and I respectively declined due to instability of the dogs home. She told me it wasn't my dog it was her sons dog and they were sharing him with me!!! In fear that she would keep the dog I refused to let them come see him again. Two weeks later I am served papers and am going to small claims court to defend ownership of my dog who is truly like my "son" Because I let them visit him and he was a gift to our family but technically to her son this case could possibly go either way. Does anyone have any suggestions on how I can prepare a solid defense??

Comment

I NEED ADVICE ABOUT 2 DOGS PLEASE

At the end of Jan 2014, a neighbor asked if we would care for 1 of her pitts bc they were being ivicted from their home. She had 3 all together. Long story Short, We ened up with all three. They were skinny, and 1 was always kept on a chain. HUGE CHAIN. now, they gave us 1 of the dogs and we found her a great home after she gained weight and looked better. It is August 2014 now and we still have the other 2 dogs. They have gained weight and the chained dog is no longer on a chain. she is in a fence and offff that chain. I WANT TO KNOW HOW TO ESTABLISH OWNERSHIP BC THE DOGS WERE MISTREATED AND UNDER WEIGHT WITH THE OTHER OWNERS. IM AFRAID THEY WILL TRY TO HARM THE DOGS OR EVEN MY ORIGIONAL DOG IF I TELL THEM THEY CANT COME THEM. ......WHAT DO I DO?

Comment

I have 2 dogs and my bitter ex husband "kidnapped the dogs" and took them to another city across state lines.

So i called the police and they said it's a civil thing. It is not a civil matter. What can I do against this criminal dognapper?.

Comment

A dog is basically like a table, that's it.

Get over it.

Comment

Originally posted by Guest View Post
                        A dog is basically like a table, that's it.

Get over it.
                        You obviously do NOT have a dog. Or you would know better. Just like the law is finally starting to recognize.

Comment

LOL

I have seen bigger fights in court over the dog than some of the kids.

Comment

I rescued a dog and owned her for appox. 12 mths until I became ill and I had gotten a puppy that she had fights with. A doctor told me i was allergic to the dog and my sister and my dad could not mind her and so I agreed that the dog could go to one of my sister's friends. We had a verbal agreement that I could still run with the dog whenever i wanted, that she would not breed her, and that she would be the only dog in the house. Also that if she had trouble with keeping her, she would let me know straight away, incase my situation had changed. On the day she was to meet me, before I got home, my sister's friend had been to the house and picked the dog up. I did not get to say good bye or reconsider my decision. I found out that I wasn't allergic to the dog afterall, but I saw that this girl loved the dog also, so I let it be knowing that she had a good home. I felt uncomfortable approaching this girl's house as I had never been welcomed there except in the initial agreement. I see the dog often at my sister's and miss her alot. I went to my sister's the other day to find out that the girl, who since our agreement, had also gotten a puppy and was having trouble with the dog as I had. I found out my sister was minding my ex-dog indefinately until a home is found for the girl's pup. I was hurt that they had not said anything to me and i went to this girl's house to ask her to consider giving the dog back. She said she would consider it but I went to my sister's yesterday and I although my ex-dog came straight to me, as always, it was obvious that the girl has no intention of honoring our original agreement and my sister is supporting her as she is her friend.

the dog is not in either of our names as I never transferred papers from the original owner. I have paid bills for the dog and I am sure that this girl has also. I understand that she also has rights to the dog now, but i am disappointed with the way that my sister and her friend have behaved as i feel betrayed and taken advantage of. Also, the dog has never forgotten me but they do not care about this at all. lesson learned: get it in writing.
                            Never give up the pet even for a few days,except perhaps to trusted family, that has certainly been my experience as well.

Comment

Basically the answer is, it is complicated. There are many things to consider. Pets tend to end up with the primary care giver if it is taken to court. Primary care is NOT who feeds, plays with, and buys things for the animal. It includes the following:

Who paid for the pet?
                              Who paid for any vet bills?
                              Who paid for for any licenses needed?

If the pet is not up to date on vaccinations or is not licensed where law requires it, the pet may not end up with either party.

Vet bills and licenses will most likely end up being more important.

In addition to that if there is a written or oral agreement about pet ownership, these hold out in court and are considered.

Finally I would like to add that shelter pets and breeder pets are both good to adopt from. Before adopting you should find out about any prior care given, including vaccinations. It is possible breeders are not vaccinating and shelters are not vaccinating. Don't assume anything about prior care, ask for the paperwork when you adopt and buy a pet. As long as the pet was in the care of the shelter or with breeder they should have it. If it is not available... beware.
                              Hey thanks very much!!

I printed this whole discussion and gave it to my ex!!

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                              Auto-Saved
                              Wink ;) Mad :mad: Big Grin :D Frown :( Embarrassment :o Confused :confused: Smile :) Stick Out Tongue :p Roll Eyes (Sarcastic) :rolleyes: Cool :cool: EEK! :eek:
                              x
                              Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                              x

Do cats say meow or mooo?... (write the answer twice with an "@" between the words)

widgetinstance 213 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                              Working...
                              X