X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Defamation suit against me - Nevada

Originally posted by Friend In Court View Post
    Wrong Again!! Defamation is a crime in 48 of the 50 United States. You not only have not read the applicable law, but not even my post on the subject.

There is no such thing as a child support attorney.

From your answers you could not have passed the bar in any state, much less California where you claim to be a lawyer. The bar fail rate in California is the highest in the nation.
    I'm just going to come out and say it. You really are a freaking idiot.

I think your life and self worth must be too wrapped up in a board like this. Attorneys like myself come to these places to give out a little advice or information that people otherwise couldn't get. Just because you don't agree with what I'm saying as you're often wrong about the law doesn't give you carte blanche to bombard my private messages with threats and delusional attacks, nor does it give you the right to now publicly do it. I've already contacted the Forum administrator about you and will now forward that person every private message you've sent. Stop this harassment NOW.

Comment

Oh so you got the Welcome Wagon basket then

There are no Federal criminal laws regarding defamation and only about 1/3 of US states (nowhere near 48) have any kind of criminal laws regarding defamation.

I'd assume most who suffered true and injurious defamation would prefer a money judgment to an apology letter or public service as the penalty so there's not much call for criminalization.

Comment

Dear All:

We all enjoy friendly banter from time to time but please do not change that into personal insults or outright rudeness.

We each have different perspectives and views on issues and that is what makes it helpful to everyone.

Wrong Again!! Defamation is a crime in 48 of the 50 United States. You not only have not read the applicable law, but not even my post on the subject.

There is no such thing as a child support attorney.

From your answers you could not have passed the bar in any state, much less California where you claim to be a lawyer. The bar fail rate in California is the highest in the nation.
        Originally posted by SupportAttyGuy View Post

I think your life and self worth must be too wrapped up in a board like this. Attorneys like myself come to these places to give out a little advice or information that people otherwise couldn't get. Just because you don't agree with what I'm saying as you're often wrong about the law doesn't give you carte blanche to bombard my private messages with threats and delusional attacks, nor does it give you the right to now publicly do it. I've already contacted the Forum administrator about you and will now forward that person every private message you've sent. Stop this harassment NOW.

Comment

Originally posted by goddessoflubboc View Post
          Oh so you got the Welcome Wagon basket then

There are no Federal criminal laws regarding defamation and only about 1/3 of US states (nowhere near 48) have any kind of criminal laws regarding defamation.

I'd assume most who suffered true and injurious defamation would prefer a money judgment to an apology letter or public service as the penalty so there's not much call for criminalization.
          Here is the list of the 24 US states and Virgin Islands with their criminal penalties for defamation:

In addition to civil remedies available to an injured party, there are criminal penalties in at least 24 US states:

Alabama ($500 fine and up to year in jail);
          Colorado (class 6 felony),*
          Florida (5 statutes with varying penalties);
          Georgia, (misdemeanor to felony),
          Idaho ($500 fine and up to six months in jail),
          Illinois (misdemeanor)
          Kansas (misdemeanor);
          Kentucky,(fine of $500 or 6 months in jail or both);
          Louisiana ($500 fine and six months in jail
          Michigan (misdemeanor) ($3,000 fine or up to one year in prison or both),
          Mississippi (imprisonment or fine, or both ??" the amounts and sentence at judge's discretion)
          Montana ($500 fine or imprisonment in county jail for six months or both)
          Minnesota ($3,000 fine, year in jail, or both);
          Nevada, (misdemeanor to gross misdemeanor);
          New Hampshire (class B felony),
          New Mexico (misdemeanor),
          North Carolina (Class B misdemeanor);
          North Dakota (Class A misdemeanor);
          Ohio (misdemeanor, fine $500 to $1,000 and year in jail) ;
          Oklahoma (4 criminal libel statutes with varying penalties)
          South Carolina (fine up to $5,000 and year in jail;
          Utah (Class B misdemeanor;
          Virginia (Class 3 misdemeanor),
          Wisconsin (Class A misdemeanor)
          Virgin Islands ($500 and year in jail but if coupled with extortion, $1,000 and 5 years in jail),

Comment

To point out the truth is not harassment.

Comment

To point out the truth is not harassment.
              You don't learn, do you?

Comment

Here is my take. Convincing the trier of fact in a defamation suit may or may not be hard, although per se defamation exists, the Plaintiff still has the BOP.

Witnesses can lie to please any side, it is up to the "listener(s)" to weigh the testimony, and it is not always a slam dunk.

Comment

So even you admit you were off by at least half FIC.

Comment

Originally posted by BOR View Post
                    Here is my take. Convincing the trier of fact in a defamation suit may or may not be hard, although per se defamation exists, the Plaintiff still has the BOP.

Witnesses can lie to please any side, it is up to the "listener(s)" to weigh the testimony, and it is not always a slam dunk.
                    There are two ways to defame someone.

Slander (verbal)

and libel (written).

Libel is very easy to prove for the writing speaks for itself.

When one starts out on a defamation campaign, often they slander the person to more than one individual. Sure, it will be up to the trier of fact, the judge, to determine who is lying and who is not. Or up to the jury, if one is empanelled.

There can be ramifications of those words, too; loss of a job, a relationship, arrest and incarceration...the list is almost endless of the losses one can suffer because of someone's malicious tongue [or fingers]. We have seen some of it on this forum.

The harm done has been reduced to criminal in 24 of the 50 US states, as the list I have provided shows. Defamation is a felony in several.

Malicious people can rant on. But eventually, their tongues (or fingers) bring them a hefty price to pay.

Comment

Originally posted by goddessoflubboc View Post
                      So even you admit you were off by at least half FIC.
                      No, I don't admit I was off by half. Defamation is actionable in every state of the nation. It is a crime in 24 of the 50 -- civil (tort) only in all the rest.

In your state, Texas, it is against the law to defame not just a living person, but a dead one as well. You might find the statute enlightening. Recently a Texas jury awarded $13,000,000 dollars for someone defamed on the internet.

Comment

From the Texas statutes:

TITLE 4. LIABILITY IN TORT

CHAPTER 73. LIBEL

SUBCHAPTER A. GENERAL PROVISIONS

Sec. 73.001. ELEMENTS OF LIBEL. A libel is a defamation expressed in written or other graphic form that tends to blacken the memory of the dead or that tends to injure a living person's reputation and thereby expose the person to public hatred, contempt or ridicule, or financial injury or to impeach any person's honesty, integrity, virtue, or reputation or to publish the natural defects of anyone and thereby expose the person to public hatred, ridicule, or financial injury.

Comment

No, I don't admit I was off by half. Defamation is actionable in every state of the nation. It is a crime in 24 of the 50 -- civil (tort) only in all the rest.

In your state, Texas, it is against the law to defame not just a living person, but a dead one as well. You might find the statute enlightening. Recently a Texas jury awarded $13,000,000 dollars for someone defamed on the internet.

Then based upon your behavior here towards me if you're correct, I'll own everything you have pretty soon.

Good for you that you're wrong.

Comment

Then based upon your behavior here towards me if you're correct, I'll own everything you have pretty soon.

Good for you that you're wrong.
                            Hey, support guy! (Another thumbs up!)

Is it possible that arrogance and pompousness could be a crime in the Sunshine state? You know which one. That flaccid phallic that weakly gropes out into the Caribbean.

And all this babble about criminal defamation? I've been study and practice law for over half of a century in a relative small populated state indeed. But I have never heard of the filing of criminal charge of defamation here, much less a conviction!.

In fact I can recall but a single civil action for libel tried in this state (none for slander) and that case against a newspaper was tossed by a federal judge on a motion for a directed verdict.

Comment

Wrong Again!! Defamation is a crime in 48 of the 50 United States.
                              That's what YOU said.

But then you said this:
                              The harm done has been reduced to criminal in 24 of the 50 US states, as the list I have provided shows.
                              I hope, FIC, that you see my point here.

Comment

Originally posted by Sax View Post
                                Hey, support guy! (Another thumbs up!)

And all this babble about criminal defamation? I've been study and practice law for over half of a century in a relative small populated state indeed. But I have never heard of the filing of criminal charge of defamation here, much less a conviction!.
                                Adultery is still criminal in some states, it is just that such desuetude laws may have basically impliedly repealed themselves and such prosecutions will not be favored upon.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                                Auto-Saved
                                Smile :) Stick Out Tongue :p Wink ;) Mad :mad: Big Grin :D Frown :( Embarrassment :o Confused :confused: Roll Eyes (Sarcastic) :rolleyes: Cool :cool: EEK! :eek:
                                x

the color of milk is... (write the answer twice with an "@" between the words)

widgetinstance 213 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                                Working...
                                X