Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Can't pay an old legal bill. Will the lawyer sue me?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can't pay an old legal bill. Will the lawyer sue me?

Can't pay an old legal bill.
    Will the lawyer sue me for that or do lawyers usually not do that kind of collections aggressively?

Will he?
    No way to predict.

Could he?
    Of course.

How much is the unpaid bill?
    Have you paid any of it?
    Did you pay a retainer?
    How much?

Details count.

Comment

No retainer. I paid about 4000 dollars in family law dispute over 6 months, the rest owed is about 3500 which I don't have right now.
      The court case is over for now anyway. I am not sure what he plans to do about the 3500.

Comment

I am not sure what he plans to do about the 3500.
        He doesn't have to tell you. He can surprise you with a lawsuit. He can surprise you with a collection agency. He can surprise you with a negative entry on your credit report.

the rest owed is about 3500 which I don't have right now.
        OK, you don't have $3500. How much do you have that you can free up to send him? I suggest you get in front of this and don't assume that you skate because you haven't heard anything.

Send him something, even if it's a few hundred, along with a letter that you'll be paying as much as you can, whenever you can. Then keep sending payments as often and as regularly as possible. He's not going to refuse the money.

Comment

Some lawyers will collect just like your worst debt collector, and some frankly do not like to get into the nitty gritty of collections.

Others in your community may know which kind of lawyer you are dealing with. Or perhaps Hokk, you can tell already.

Comment

Depends on the lawyer's nature. If he don't want then he won't force you, but if he want his money, he will take money out from you in any form

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
            Auto-Saved
            Smile :) Stick Out Tongue :p Wink ;) Mad :mad: Big Grin :D Frown :( Embarrassment :o Confused :confused: Roll Eyes (Sarcastic) :rolleyes: Cool :cool: EEK! :eek:
            x
            Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
            x

the color of milk is... (write the answer twice with an "@" between the words)