Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Because a lawyer is a "juris doctor", can the lawyer under any circumstances call himself doctor when introducing himself?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Because a lawyer is a "juris doctor", can the lawyer under any circumstances call himself doctor when introducing himself?

In the USA...
    Because a lawyer is a "juris doctor", can the lawyer call himself doctor when introducing himself to people? What is the current law on this?
    I recently encountered this with a kind of bizaree younger lawyer, and though it very odd.
    I see your esquire discussion here but what about this issue?

Save me some typing and go to this Wikipedia page and scroll down to the section Use of the Title "Doctor."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Juris_...e_%22Doctor%22

Your state Bar rules might or might not permit it.

Comment

In the United States it is considered inappropriate by almost ALL members of the BAR for a lawyer to use the term doctor. It is misleading and confusing at best.
      Contact the American Bar Association if you need to further discuss.

In other locations such as Germany it is the usual practice for law graduates.

No lawyer should use such term in the USA.

Comment

I have a friend that has both a JD and an MD.

We often call him Doctor Doctor John Smith, Esq. and we always play the Robert Palmer song at his birthday celebrations.

Comment

Lol
          But seriously I have been around the legal profession for more than 20 years, and I have never once in my life heard a US lawyer referring to themselves as a doctor, I think it would be completely inappropriate today.

Comment

Originally posted by Guest View Post
            Lol
            But seriously I have been around the legal profession for more than 20 years, and I have never once in my life heard a US lawyer referring to themselves as a doctor, I think it would be completely inappropriate today.

Yes thanks for all the answers here, that seems to be my conclusion as well! Happy TG!

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
            Auto-Saved
            Embarrassment :o Confused :confused: Smile :) Stick Out Tongue :p Wink ;) Mad :mad: Frown :( Big Grin :D Roll Eyes (Sarcastic) :rolleyes: Cool :cool: EEK! :eek:
            x
            Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
            x

the color of a banana is... (write the answer twice with an "@" between the words)