Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What does "Anor" mean?

In the title to many legal documents, I see the word "Anor" or "Anor.", as in "Smith & Anor -v- Jones & Anor." What does "anor" mean, and what is its derivation? This *might* apply only to legal documents from the UK
    and Australia, I'm not sure. Thank you.

Re: What does "Anor" mean?

In the UK legal system, "Anor." is an abbreviation meaning "another." It can be thought of asthe singular form of the abbreviation "Ors.," which means "others." It is not well documented.

Comment

It also applies in Australia. Thank you for this post, I have been through several legal dictionaries looking for what this means without success.

Comment

It also applies in Malaysia. Most of the Law used in Malaysian are English based.

Comment

This is also used in New Zealand - thanks for the explanation!

Comment

Yes and South Africa too!

Comment

And also in Ireland. All of these countries are common law legal systems based on the original English common law system.

Comment

And also in Papua New Guinea

Comment

I never heard of it in the US.
                  If it is used it must be not used widely.

Comment

thanks guys! very helpful

Comment

I really appreciate your comments. I have had a number of cases with Anor in the name and I have been thinking that Anor must have been a very BIG business that I had never heard of!! Anor was associated with mining, an abbatoir, a freight company etc etc etc. I googled Anor thinking it would come up as Anor Pty Ltd .... and found your comments. Thanks!

Comment

It is used mostly in all commonwealth countries where the law is based on the English model, In Mauritius also legally "Anors" and "ors" is commonly quoted in courts matters !!!

Comment

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
                          Yeah this is absolutely right, if it isn't used in the US then it mustn't be correct.

Classic American ignorance.

Comment

Yeah this is absolutely right, if it isn't used in the US then it mustn't be correct.

Classic American ignorance.
                            Poster above is rude and ignorant. The quoted poster was merely stating that Anor might not be used in the US- not that it means it must be incorrect. As an American studying law in Australia I find many legal terms used by most common law country except the US. American law is common law as opposed to civil law, but the system has developed differently than it has in other common law countries.

Comment

In the US you will see et al, meaning and others. Seems to be the same usage as Anor.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                              Auto-Saved
                              Smile :) Stick Out Tongue :p Wink ;) Mad :mad: Big Grin :D Frown :( Embarrassment :o Confused :confused: Roll Eyes (Sarcastic) :rolleyes: Cool :cool: EEK! :eek:
                              x
                              Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                              x

the color of milk is... (write the answer twice with an "@" between the words)

widgetinstance 213 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                              Working...
                              X