Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Car Insurance Payout Issues

I was involved in a car accident a little while ago and had my car endure frame damage as a result. I was quoted $3800.00 to repair it by the body shop I had the car taken to. An adjuster from the insurance company covering the damages went to the shop and took a look at the car then later sent me a check for about $2900.

I contacted the body shop and asked about it and they said they were just as surprised as they told the insurance adjuster that the car should just be totaled out with the amount of damage it had.

Now, I've already cashed the check, thinking the insurance would just pay out the difference, however one of the lawyers handling my case informed me that that really isn't the case.

Am I out of luck here or is there anything I can do in this circumstance? The car is still sitting at the body shop pretty much totaled and I still have the money from the check.

=/

Re: Car Insurance Payout Issues

I wish to inform you that you may serve a written notice to the insurance company stating that the damage to the car is in the amount of $3,800 but you have received a check for $2,900. In support of your letter to the insurance company, you may send a written estimate obtained from the body shop for the repairs. Please check if the liability of the insurance was restricted to the depreciated value and therefore a lower amount in the check was received by you. Otherwise, if the matter is not resolved then you may file a lawsuit in the Small Claims Court. You may claim damages suffered and costs. The Court will consider all the facts and decide the matter.

AFF

Comment

It appears you accepted the payout as full payment for the damage. It is not unusual for an estimate to be revised by either the shop or the insurance. I suggest you call your adjuster and see what can be worked out.
      Due to a recent promotion, I should now be referred to as Major Obvious.

I would not be trying to provide information and knowledge if I did not sympathize.

Some days it is just not worth chewing through the restraints to face life.

Comment

There's 2 possibilities. First the repair bill might be $3,800 but if the book value is $2,900 that's all you will get. Secondly perhaps the difference is your deductible.

Comment

Originally posted by n89b View Post
          I was involved in a car accident a little while ago and had my car endure frame damage as a result. I was quoted $3800.00 to repair it by the body shop I had the car taken to. An adjuster from the insurance company covering the damages went to the shop and took a look at the car then later sent me a check for about $2900.

I contacted the body shop and asked about it and they said they were just as surprised as they told the insurance adjuster that the car should just be totaled out with the amount of damage it had.

Now, I've already cashed the check, thinking the insurance would just pay out the difference, however one of the lawyers handling my case informed me that that really isn't the case.

Am I out of luck here or is there anything I can do in this circumstance? The car is still sitting at the body shop pretty much totaled and I still have the money from the check.

=/
          Since you cashed the check, you are out of luck trying to get more from the insurance company, sad to say.

You can have the car hauled off and junked which will give you a few hundred more dollars to add to what you were paid. And buy another car.

Comment

Originally posted by Disagreeable View Post
            It appears you accepted the payout as full payment for the damage. It is not unusual for an estimate to be revised by either the shop or the insurance. I suggest you call your adjuster and see what can be worked out.
            At the moment I'm going through the lawyer and calling the adjuster to see what can be done.

Originally posted by goddessoflubboc View Post
            There's 2 possibilities. First the repair bill might be $3,800 but if the book value is $2,900 that's all you will get. Secondly perhaps the difference is your deductible.
            The car was worth about 5-6K. I was told by the body shop that the estimate would definitely be enough to total the car and thats what they told the adjuster the first time. My assumption is that the adjuster just sent out the check as they wanted to avoid paying out more for totaling the car.

As for deductible the car was on liability and I was hit by another car. That person's insurance is covering the damages.

Originally posted by Friend In Court View Post
            Since you cashed the check, you are out of luck trying to get more from the insurance company, sad to say.
            Is this concrete or could anyone explain a bit more as to why? I ask simply because the answers in this thread conflict a bit and on reading the check at the time there was nothing that stated this is the final payout for "xxx".

I just want to be sure on how I should be trying to move forward with this.

Thanks for the replies so far everyone.

Comment

Usually you sign a release or the check endorsement contains a release as to full payment.
              Due to a recent promotion, I should now be referred to as Major Obvious.

I would not be trying to provide information and knowledge if I did not sympathize.

Some days it is just not worth chewing through the restraints to face life.

Comment

I brought up the deductible bc the circumstances of the wreck weren't given.

To be a "total loss" the cost to repair a vehicle must meet or exceed book value. If your cars book value (not what you might get selling it - but what kbb.com says based on year, mileage & condition) exceeds $3,800 then totaling it was not on the table.

I still believe that's why the difference, and as Disagreeable said you can't argue it now anyway.

Comment

You must claim the charge you had during the car repair.Insurance should be given to you if you had deposited all the insurance premium.If still you are not given the claim then you firstly write a notice to the insurance company.Nothing revert you had then you should call a Lawyer to get your claim.

Comment

Insurance company has paid claim which is % of destroyed. They can't increase this cause this there act.

Comment

Hey, if your estimated money for car damage is $3800. 00 then why you accepted the check of $2,900, now if you talk for more money then it look like you want to get extra money from insurance companies. You have to do it previously. But anyway you can give them written notice and mention all the cost of damage there, may you'll get all the money.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                      Auto-Saved
                      Smile :) Stick Out Tongue :p Wink ;) Mad :mad: Big Grin :D Frown :( Embarrassment :o Confused :confused: Roll Eyes (Sarcastic) :rolleyes: Cool :cool: EEK! :eek:
                      x

Do cats say meow or mooo?... (write the answer twice with an "@" between the words)

widgetinstance 213 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                      Working...
                      X