USAC Banner 728x90

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Life Insurance beneficiary payout delay in Ontario Canada?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Life Insurance beneficiary payout delay in Ontario Canada?

By brother-in-law (from Ontario) has passed away in January and named one of his sisters and brothers (both living in Ireland) as co beneficiaries of his life insurance policy.

To complicate things he was legally separated about 12 years with a now 23 year old daughter. As part of the separation agreement he was required to name his daughter as the only beneficiary of his life insurance while she was a dependent.

He changed his life insurance policy a few years ago to take out his daughters name and add his sister and brother.

When he passed the life insurance company sent the life insurance documentation to his separated wife and she contacted them to say that the daughter should still be the beneficiary. The insurance company have asked the daughter to provide proof she is still a dependent. (She has been employed since she left high school.)

What are the named beneficiaries rights in this scenario? How long would they have to wait for matters to resolve?

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

Re: Life Insurance beneficiary payout delay in Ontario Canada?

They have the right to claim the policy, unless she was still legally a dependent via court order.
    Due to a recent promotion, I should now be referred to as Major Obvious.

I would not be trying to provide information and knowledge if I did not sympathize.

Some days it is just not worth chewing through the restraints to face life.

Comment

Thanks for the response. Would you know typically how long the daughter has to try and prove she is a dependent? The life insurance company are delaying because of this.

Comment

Originally posted by richard62 View Post
        Thanks for the response. Would you know typically how long the daughter has to try and prove she is a dependent? The life insurance company are delaying because of this.
        Whether she is a dependent will be defined by the terms of the court order. Was support to be discontinued upon high school graduation? Age 19? Age 21? Graduation from college?
        Due to a recent promotion, I should now be referred to as Major Obvious.

I would not be trying to provide information and knowledge if I did not sympathize.

Some days it is just not worth chewing through the restraints to face life.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
        Auto-Saved
        Stick Out Tongue :p Smile :) Mad :mad: Wink ;) Frown :( Big Grin :D Confused :confused: Embarrassment :o Roll Eyes (Sarcastic) :rolleyes: Cool :cool: EEK! :eek:
        x

the color of a pink dog is ... (write the answer twice with an "@" between the words)

widgetinstance 213 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
        Working...
        X