USAC Banner 728x90

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What can the authorities do if I do not have auto insurance in Michigan?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What can the authorities do if I do not have auto insurance in Michigan?

What can the authorities do if I do not have any car insurance in Michigan and I am caught driving without it?

My insurance lapsed and frankly I just cannot afford it for about six months and then I will start it again.
    But I am driving to work each day!

Re: What can the authorities do if I do not have auto insurance in Michigan?

I wish to inform you that you may be liable for misdemeanor if caught driving without licence. Penalties may thus involve imprisonment which may be upto 1 year or fine or both. There may also be suspension of your licence for 30 days.

AFF

Comment

Originally posted by JanisP View Post
      What can the authorities do if I do not have any car insurance in Michigan and I am caught driving without it?

My insurance lapsed and frankly I just cannot afford it for about six months and then I will start it again.
      But I am driving to work each day!
      Here are all the potential consequences for getting caught without car insurance:

1 - Hefty fines.
      2 - Driver license suspension.
      3 - Registration suspension and license plate confiscation.
      4 - Significantly higher insurance rates next time you buy insurance.

Then, if you get caught driving on a suspended license or cancelled registration, bigger fines, longer suspension period, maybe the impounding of your car resulting in horrendous towing and storage fees when you finally do get it back.

And, finally, if you cause an accident that results in injury and/or damage your entire financial future goes into the toilet.

You can't afford NOT to have insurance.

Comment

I may have to not drive for one or two months and then get new insurance somehow!
        Will the company let me put it on hold or will that raise red flags?

Janis

Comment

You can't put it on hold. You're insured or not. If not you violate your state financial responsibility law by driving.

Comment

Originally posted by AFFA View Post
            I wish to inform you that you may be liable for misdemeanor if caught driving without licence.
            She didn't say anything about her license.

Comment

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
              I may have to not drive for one or two months and then get new insurance somehow!

Janis

Why are you posting under different names??

Comment

Janis
                1 - Your insurance has lapsed. To your insurance company you no longer exist so there is nothing to "put on hold."

2 - The advantage to not driving is that you don't get pulled over and cited.

3 - However, when the DMV is notified of the lapse, your registration is likely to be suspended so you will have to deal with reinstating it when you do get insurance again.

4 - Most insurance companies will charge you higher rates after having a lapse so you aren't doing yourself any favors by lapsing the insurance. You'll only pay more to get it back.

5 - You might think you can go a couple of months without driving but the one day you just have to drive because "it's an emergency" is the day you'll get pulled over and hit with $1000 worth of fines. That's the way these stories always play out on these websites. And heaven help you if you cause an accident while you aren't insured.

Comment

Hmm
                  It seems that the insurance may have be purchased after all.

Comment

That is the point of having extreme penalties.
                    Due to a recent promotion, I should now be referred to as Major Obvious.

I would not be trying to provide information and knowledge if I did not sympathize.

Some days it is just not worth chewing through the restraints to face life.

Comment

Can I stop driving my car for three or four months and then cancel the insurance during that period?

I have to find a way to reduce costs for a period. Even if I have to take the bus.

Comment

Can I stop driving my car for three or four months and then cancel the insurance during that period?

I have to find a way to reduce costs for a period. Even if I have to take the bus.
                        Insurance companies will allow you to remove the comprehensive and collision coverage if you want to store your car to save some of the insurance premium.

You can certainly cancel the whole policy but you'll have to turn in your license plates and registration to the DMV.

But when you repurchase the insurance you will be charged a higher rate for not having insurance during the prior period.

And the bad part about turning in your license plates, if you can't keep the car in a fully enclosed garage, you'll get cited by the city for having an unregistered car on your property.

There's no getting around it.

As long as you own the car, you have insurance, or (one way or another) you SUFFER the consequences of not having the insurance.

If it comes to a choice between insurance or smoking, drinking, partying, eating out, etc, you keep the insurance and curtail the other things.

Comment

Originally posted by adjusterjack View Post
                          And the bad part about turning in your license plates, if you can't keep the car in a fully enclosed garage, you'll get cited by the city for having an unregistered car on your property.

The person who hijacked this thread didn't say what state or municipality "he" was in. The requirement you mention does not apply everywhere.

Comment

As MI is a quasi no fault insurance state, I would call your insurance company and tell them you will be on vacation and wish to suspend your current policy. HOWEVER, if you get caught driving the car and are proof of insurance is requested failure to provide it will result in a driver responsibility fee. The second month of failure to provide, is punishable by license suspension in addition to a higher fee. Failing to keep your policy can result in a higher premium, when you go to reinstate your insurance.
                            http://www.michigan.gov/driverrespon...165---,00.html
                            Due to a recent promotion, I should now be referred to as Major Obvious.

I would not be trying to provide information and knowledge if I did not sympathize.

Some days it is just not worth chewing through the restraints to face life.

Comment

You can also change the policy to cover storage only, and not usage. The cost will be substantially less.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                              Auto-Saved
                              Smile :) Stick Out Tongue :p Wink ;) Mad :mad: Big Grin :D Frown :( Embarrassment :o Confused :confused: Roll Eyes (Sarcastic) :rolleyes: Cool :cool: EEK! :eek:
                              x

the color of a blueberry is... (write the answer twice with an "@" between the words)

widgetinstance 213 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                              Working...
                              X