Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 3 way car accident in a rental car - I was in the middle

Got in an accident on the highway and I was in the middle driving a rental car. The front car had a bumper crack and the car behind us essentially had no damage. Our car had our front grille and back bumper cracked.

The car accident went like this 1<2<3, where we are number 2 and number 3 pushed us into number 1. The police report verifies it is not our fault and number 3's fault.

I was driving a rental car, which was registered to my father, which he bought the premium insurance from the rental agency. He was sitting next to me at the time of the accident. The rental agency called us a month later and is telling us to pay for the damages or they will report us to collections. They said because I was an unregistered driver, all insurance is void.

I feel like I'm being scammed and will not pay the insurance agency and they are asking an absurd $10k for the bumper crack damages.

Can my father claim on his insurance? Can we claim through the credit card we paid with auto insurance? Can we claim through the agency we went through for the car rental (we didn't rent directly with the rental agency, but through a 3rd party)?

What is going on and what kind of lawyer do we need to see? We are not at fault, yet we are needing to pay? Please help! Can someone explain the situation.

Re: 3 way car accident in a rental car - I was in the middle

You are not liable based on the facts you provide. The third car that hit you from rear is solely liable for your damages as well as the damages to the car in front of you. Gather evidences, pictures to support your case. Hire an attorney immediately to deal with the collection agencies and insurance company.

Comment

What state was this? Does the car rental agreement specifically allow for unnamed drivers?

You need to find out what precisely they are billing you for - was driver #3 uninsured?

I would suggest you gather all the facts and talk to your insurance agent. There are far too many variables involved.

Comment

Even if the other company were liable for the damages, they will not pay for lost rental time and as you were not insured, it is logical they would sue you and dad. They are in the business of renting cars, you tried to scam them and it backfired, now you are being billed for their lost rental time.
        Due to a recent promotion, I should now be referred to as Major Obvious.

I would not be trying to provide information and knowledge if I did not sympathize.

Some days it is just not worth chewing through the restraints to face life.

Comment

This is in the state of Washington. I am not sure if driver #3 was uninsured, but driver #3 claimed to have insurance but did not have proof at the time and got a ticket.

The rental agreement itself states that insurance will be void if driven by unregistered driver- but my father was in the seat next to me and he was tired of driving so he told me to drive.

Comment

Originally posted by sincerely1 View Post
            This is in the state of Washington. I am not sure if driver #3 was uninsured, but driver #3 claimed to have insurance but did not have proof at the time and got a ticket.

The rental agreement itself states that insurance will be void if driven by unregistered driver -but my father was in the seat next to me and he was tired of driving so he told me to drive.
            The rental insurance is void - they are quite clear on who is covered. Dad should've called to add you before you drove.

You are going to be out of pocket on this. If driver 3 is uninsured you will have to sue him.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
            Auto-Saved
            Smile :) Stick Out Tongue :p Wink ;) Mad :mad: Big Grin :D Frown :( Embarrassment :o Confused :confused: Roll Eyes (Sarcastic) :rolleyes: Cool :cool: EEK! :eek:
            x

the color of snow is... (write the answer twice with an "@" between the words)

widgetinstance 213 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
            Working...
            X