USAC Banner 728x90

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

This is more complicated than it needs to be...

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• This is more complicated than it needs to be...

I am from the state of Pennsylvania where both myself and the other driver who was involved in this accident is also from and licensed.

I was involved in an intersection accident at 12:45pm on 3/9/2013. Both vehicles were still drivable and no injuries, so the responding police (Connellsville City Police Dept) refused to do a police report.

The other driver ran a red light, and I had 2 witnesses one of which stayed at the accident scene to talk to the police if needed. The other driver admitted fault to myself and the police officer at the scene. When I got home, I proceeded to call BOTH insurance companies to start the claims process.
    I'm sure you know where this is going..

I got a call the following Monday (3/11/2013) from my insurance company who said they spoke with the driver who hit me and he was now saying the complete opposite of what I told them. He had filed a claim with them to get his vehicle repaired and he was saying I ran the red light.

My insurance company contacted both of my witnesses, who told them of course it was him that ran the redlight and not me. So they contacted him and told him they were NOT going to take liability to fix his vehicle. At this point I was now ready to see if I could make arrangements to get my car fixed since I am trying to find a new job and I hate to have to take time off a brand new job to drop off/pickup.. etc. I would like to get this taken care of ASAP.

His insurance company setup an appointment for me to get the estimate on the damages to my car when I made my initial claim. I took my car on Thursday 3/14/2013 and got a copy of the estimate. (Damages are about $1,700 + any damage they might find when actually taking apart the car + rental car for about 5 days.)

Well this morning I heard back from his insurance company and she said she has been unable to get him to return any of the phone calls. She has left numerous messages for him but he does not call back.

My question is now what?! Will my insurance company continue to pursue this or no because they don't have to pay for his vehicle repairs? I told them I don't have an extra $500 laying around and I want his insurance company to fix my car because he was at fault.

I don't mind waiting, a little bit anyway. But how long can he drag this out and NOT call his insurance company? Isn't it illegal what he is doing?? At this point I'd love to see some kind of legal action taken against him just for the aggravation.

I think it's funny he has the time to talk to MY insurance company but won't talk to his own.. So I am afraid he just doesn't plan on calling them.
    This is a young kid about 18 years old who told me he just got off his parents insurance.. so who knows if they even know about the accident.

re: This is more complicated than it needs to be...

Originally posted by alleria View Post
    I am from the state of Pennsylvania where both myself and the other driver who was involved in this accident is also from and licensed.

I was involved in an intersection accident at 12:45pm on 3/9/2013. Both vehicles were still drivable and no injuries, so the responding police (Connellsville City Police Dept) refused to do a police report.

The other driver ran a red light, and I had 2 witnesses one of which stayed at the accident scene to talk to the police if needed. The other driver admitted fault to myself and the police officer at the scene. When I got home, I proceeded to call BOTH insurance companies to start the claims process.
    I'm sure you know where this is going..

I got a call the following Monday (3/11/2013) from my insurance company who said they spoke with the driver who hit me and he was now saying the complete opposite of what I told them. He had filed a claim with them to get his vehicle repaired and he was saying I ran the red light.

My insurance company contacted both of my witnesses, who told them of course it was him that ran the redlight and not me. So they contacted him and told him they were NOT going to take liability to fix his vehicle. At this point I was now ready to see if I could make arrangements to get my car fixed since I am trying to find a new job and I hate to have to take time off a brand new job to drop off/pickup.. etc. I would like to get this taken care of ASAP.

His insurance company setup an appointment for me to get the estimate on the damages to my car when I made my initial claim. I took my car on Thursday 3/14/2013 and got a copy of the estimate. (Damages are about $1,700 + any damage they might find when actually taking apart the car + rental car for about 5 days.)

Well this morning I heard back from his insurance company and she said she has been unable to get him to return any of the phone calls. She has left numerous messages for him but he does not call back.

My question is now what?! Will my insurance company continue to pursue this or no because they don't have to pay for his vehicle repairs? I told them I don't have an extra $500 laying around and I want his insurance company to fix my car because he was at fault.

I don't mind waiting, a little bit anyway. But how long can he drag this out and NOT call his insurance company? Isn't it illegal what he is doing?? At this point I'd love to see some kind of legal action taken against him just for the aggravation.
    You need to be patient. As complicated as you see it to be, you also need to understand that the insurance companies handle hundreds - even thousands - of claims every day. Yours may be taking a little longer than you'd prefer, but the amount of time is NOT unusual. Some cases take months and even YEARS to settle.

Your insurance company, since you filed the claim with them, should be following this matter through to completion on your behalf. This is one of the things you pay your insurance premiums for them to handle.
    "If it ain't in writing, it never happened."
    "A lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on my part."
    "You can never make the same mistake twice, because the second time you make it, it's not a mistake, but a CHOICE."

Comment

Re: This is more complicated than it needs to be...

Originally posted by sandyclaus View Post
      You need to be patient. As complicated as you see it to be, you also need to understand that the insurance companies handle hundreds - even thousands - of claims every day. Yours may be taking a little longer than you'd prefer, but the amount of time is NOT unusual. Some cases take months and even YEARS to settle.

Your insurance company, since you filed the claim with them, should be following this matter through to completion on your behalf. This is one of the things you pay your insurance premiums for them to handle.

Right, don't get me wrong I do understand that there are far worse things they have to deal with and much more complicated situations than mine. I just figured when it happened it would have been cut and dry. (My hubby got rear-ended last year and it was very simple and yes I realize its a complete different situation).
      But like I said, I am trying to job hunt & seeking different employment as I have recently graduated and am now facing student loan repayment. I just don't want to come off to a new employer as someone who is *already* asking for time off work. (I am at a point at my current company that they know I don't make a habit of such things.)

Thank you for your reply, I was concerned if my insurance company was going to see this through to my satisfaction. That was my biggest worry. I will sit back and let them fight it out.

Comment

The biggest hurdle at this point in time is the fact you do not have a police report assigning fault to the other driver. Since running a red light is a serious infraction, and then causing an accident by so doing, I do not understand why they did not take a report. Do you still have the witnesses names and phone numbers? If so, I suggest you contact them -- provide them to the police department -- the supervising sergeant and demand that a report be made.

Once you have a report, this will smooth the way for your insurance company to pay the claim -- and get reimbursed from the other guy's insurer -- without your getting socked for the deductible.

If you do not get a report assigning blame, your choice is to file civil suit and have the witnesses testify for you in court in order to get a judgment for your deductible and any costs your insurance company fails to pay.

It seems the simplest course is to force the report. And then things should go considerably faster from there.

Comment

Do not forget that you have to file a report with the DMV in Pennsylvania within 5 days of the date of the accident or else you could risk having your license suspended, whether or not the police took a report. There is a $5.00 fee to process the report.

The form is available from the DMV site online and is to be sent to;

Pennsylvania Department of Transportation
          Bureau of Highway Safety and Traffic Engineering
          P.O. Box 2047
          Harrisburg, Pennsylvania 17105-2047

Comment

Originally posted by Friend In Court View Post
            Do not forget that you have to file a report with the DMV in Pennsylvania within 5 days of the date of the accident or else you could risk having your license suspended, whether or not the police took a report. There is a $5.00 fee to process the report.

P.O. Box 2047
            Oh no! I didn't know this? I guess I assumed if you reported it to the insurance that the proper channels would be notified. Is it too late? It's been over a week. Should I still do this?

Comment

If you had full coverage, it will be easiest to allow your insurance to repair your car. They will attempt to get their money back. If they do, it will not be considered a chargeable accident at renewal.
              Due to a recent promotion, I should now be referred to as Major Obvious.

I would not be trying to provide information and knowledge if I did not sympathize.

Some days it is just not worth chewing through the restraints to face life.

Comment

Originally posted by Disagreeable View Post
                If you had full coverage, it will be easiest to allow your insurance to repair your car. They will attempt to get their money back. If they do, it will not be considered a chargeable accident at renewal.
                Full coverage usually has a deductible. He still needs proof of the other party at fault for the other insurancfe company to pay one red cent and not to have the insurance company charge it all to him.

Is there something I am missing in your post that says otherwise?

Comment

Full coverage usually has a deductible. He still needs proof of the other party at fault for the other insurancfe company to pay one red cent and not to have the insurance company charge it all to him.

Is there something I am missing in your post that says otherwise?
                  OP clearly needs to get their car repaired. It is likely going to be a he said/she said. Having their company handle it, repairs the car quickly and lets the insurance companies work it out.

Were you planning of suggesting OP get a sling shot, stand outside the general offices of the opposing parties insurance company and attempt to slay Goliath, while their car rusts?
                  Due to a recent promotion, I should now be referred to as Major Obvious.

I would not be trying to provide information and knowledge if I did not sympathize.

Some days it is just not worth chewing through the restraints to face life.

Comment

P.O. Box 2047
                    This is incorrect. This form is needed ONLY if the accident resulted in serious injury or death or left a vehicle undriveable, all of which are refuted in OP post.

And it's DOT, not DMV.

Comment

Just wanted to update everyone.
                      3 weeks after the accident, the check from the other driver's insurance is on it's way to me. My car is finally gonna get fixed with NO out of pocket expenses to me.

I also found out why the other drive was so intent to lie and fight this tooth and nail. He had gotten ticketed one month prior to the accident for exceeding the speed limit by 40mph and reckless driving.

Thank you to my witnesses as they were the key in how this played out, there are truly good people in this world!!

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                      Auto-Saved
                      Stick Out Tongue :p Smile :) Mad :mad: Wink ;) Frown :( Big Grin :D Confused :confused: Embarrassment :o Roll Eyes (Sarcastic) :rolleyes: Cool :cool: EEK! :eek:
                      x

the color of a pink dog is ... (write the answer twice with an "@" between the words)

widgetinstance 213 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                      Working...
                      X