Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Neighbor kid purposely scratched my car.

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Neighbor kid purposely scratched my car.

Neighbor kid purposely scratched my car. By hand and it was largely on video. Ring video.
    And the body shot estimate is700 dollars.
    How do I make the parents pay and should I involve my insurer?
    Parents so far say they are not paying and they know the child is unruly. ??

So what now?

First, look up your state law that addresses parental responsibility for their child's vandalism. If you post your state, I'll look it up for you.

Then you file a lawsuit in small claims court.

Not a good idea to get your insurance involved. You probably have at least a $500 deductible that you'll pay toward the damage and then you'll have a small claim on your insurance record.

Comment

Thank you very much.
      That will be my plan.
      I will review the statute and then talk to the parents, and then if need be file in small claims.

Thank you very much, very helpful!!

Comment

I would also file a criminal law complaint with the police. They may or may not act but you can be sure it will make the kid and his parents think twice.

And frankly the purposeful damage caused in this situation is a crime - under the laws of every jurisdiction.

Comment

Get your local prosecutor to bring charges if they don't fix the damages.
          That's outrageous frankly.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
          Auto-Saved
          Frown :( Big Grin :D Confused :confused: Embarrassment :o Stick Out Tongue :p Smile :) Wink ;) Mad :mad: Roll Eyes (Sarcastic) :rolleyes: Cool :cool: EEK! :eek:
          x
          Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
          x

the color of snow is... (write the answer twice with an "@" between the words)