X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Car hit a dog - vet bills?

I am in Ontario, Canada.

I hit a dog with my car. The dog was tied to a house, but had escaped. Its leg was badly damaged and the owners took it to an emergency veterinarian clinic. Who is responsible for the veterinarian bills? As they were driving away, they insisted that I would be paying every penny. I left my name and number so they could get back to me, as I feel terrible.

I am under the impression that they are responsible for the bills since they are responsible for making sure their animal is securely tied up. I don't feel that I am obligated to pay unless I want to. Am I correct?

Thank you,
    Aaron

Re: Car hit a dog - vet bills?

I wish to submit that the dog is the property of the person. In this case the responsibility for the dog having suffered with an injury depends upon as to the cause. Now if the driver was driving diligently and was not at fault then the driver cannot be made liable. Further, the court will look into relative acts of all the persons. If the dog owner was negligent in keeping the dog then he cannot claim because dog being his property it was his duty to take all reasonable precautions to keep his property safe.

AFF

Comment

Hahahaha

If you hit a dog and this is not your mistake then no need to pay. For more information visit my site:

http://www.injury-compensation.ie/car-accident-injury-claims

Comment

Originally posted by Aaroningram View Post
        I am in Ontario, Canada.

I hit a dog with my car. The dog was tied to a house, but had escaped. Its leg was badly damaged and the owners took it to an emergency veterinarian clinic. Who is responsible for the veterinarian bills? As they were driving away, they insisted that I would be paying every penny. I left my name and number so they could get back to me, as I feel terrible.

I am under the impression that they are responsible for the bills since they are responsible for making sure their animal is securely tied up. I don't feel that I am obligated to pay unless I want to. Am I correct?

Thank you,
        Aaron
        If this matter were to go before a judge most likely he would order you to pay the vet bills. Although there may be a leash law, a car is considered a potentially lethal weapon and drivers must have it under control at all times, able to stop for some living thing that ends up in their path. It just as well could have been a child.

Man up and offer to pay the vet bills. Both parties will feel better with that resolution. If you were to go to court over it, odds are that would be the decision. Be glad the dog was only injured and not killed for you would feel even worse.

Comment

If the court decides that you are the cause of the accident be (i.e. for driving too fast, texting while driving, etc.) then you will be held responsible for the vet bills and even the medications until the dog fully recovers. However, I don't think it will lead to that. I say, settle the issue by talking about it on your own.

Comment

Hi Aaroningram
            You need not to worry about any thing if you ware not driving under any influence because it is their responsibility to care their pets. They should have to tied properly. If they still claim then you can hire a lawyer. I am sure that your case will be strong to your side.

Thanks
            We are the Colorado Law Firm having best team of lawyers and providing legal services in accident, personal Injury and many cases. Please visit us for more details.. http://www.pikespeaklaw.com

Comment

The rulings in some states, like Texas, for example are that if you hit a dog, it just as well could have been a child. And the judges come down hard on the driver.

Comment

This is not your fault and you are not driving and mistake of dog owner who will not take care of them. They will be responsible for that, if it is not ready to cooperate then you take help from a good lawyer they will resolve your problem...
                247injurylawyer.com

Comment

This is a while after the fact but i do hope you paid. As a dog owner my self sometime the dogs will get loose its like having kids they get out. If someone was to hit my dog or kids i would react the same way. If the person was like your self thinking you had no fault then its all good seeig as i would much rather and enjoy taking your payment in blood then money.

Comment

Originally posted by Dwolf View Post
                    This is a while after the fact but i do hope you paid. As a dog owner my self sometime the dogs will get loose its like having kids they get out. If someone was to hit my dog or kids i would react the same way. If the person was like your self thinking you had no fault then its all good seeig as i would much rather and enjoy taking your payment in blood then money.
                    Your statement is ridiculous and self-serving.

Pet owners need to take responsibility for confining their pets. When they don't, things happen - like their dog attacking someone, or getting hit by traffic on the street.

A pet owner is responsible for what happens when they fail to maintain control of their pet. In the case of the OP, they ended up hitting a dog that the owner failed to properly control. The restraint/tie they used was insufficient, and the dog got loose. While it might have been NICE for the driver of the vehicle to offer to chip in, ultimately the responsibility falls upon the dog owner for not properly restraining the pet.
                    "If it ain't in writing, it never happened."
                    "A lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on my part."
                    "You can never make the same mistake twice, because the second time you make it, it's not a mistake, but a CHOICE."

Comment

Originally posted by VinayPeter View Post
                      Hahahaha

If you hit a dog and this is not your mistake then no need to pay. For more information visit my site:

http://www.injury-compensation.ie/car-accident-injury-claims
                      Actually, the dog was tied up, dogs can get out of a secure leash, believe me, my dog has gotten out of a harness that was fitted to her size, in reality, you are the driver and should have control and it shouldn't even be a question as to whether or not you want to pay the bills, you still hit the dog. And that you can laugh over a fact like that is absolutely heartless, a dog is the same as a child, there is literally zero difference. They are both the same and are loved the same. So you're a complete imbecile and should never be a pet owner of that's how you look at it.

Comment

First, you are overly biased in your opinion. Second, can you not tell you quoted a spammer trying to garner business?
                        Due to a recent promotion, I should now be referred to as Major Obvious.

I would not be trying to provide information and knowledge if I did not sympathize.

Some days it is just not worth chewing through the restraints to face life.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                        Auto-Saved
                        Wink ;) Mad :mad: Big Grin :D Frown :( Embarrassment :o Confused :confused: Smile :) Stick Out Tongue :p Roll Eyes (Sarcastic) :rolleyes: Cool :cool: EEK! :eek:
                        x
                        Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                        x

the color of a banana is... (write the answer twice with an "@" between the words)

widgetinstance 213 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                        Working...
                        X